Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Now that the new Tibooks are out, I need to make a decision between a Tibook and LCD iMac (unless Apple gets on the ball and introduces a G4 iBook soon).... Based on price, I would be comparing the Superdrive iMac to the 667Mhz Tibook. Tough choice, burning DVDs or portability... hmmm...

A couple of questions for the crowd:

1. Which would run faster? I know the iMac has a fast processor (800 Mhz) but the Tibook (667Mhz) runs at a fast system bus speed and has a level 3 cache...

2. Which video card is better, the one on the Tibook or is it a wash? They couldn't be too different with 32mb ddr vram each.

3. Have there been any kind of bags made for transporting the new iMacs (making it semi-portable)?

:D :p :eek:

Btw, either choice will be a nice upgrade from my old Rev. C 266 iMac!

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
PowerBook

I think that the PowerBook is a quicker, better machine. I also believe that the video card is better, because in speed tests, ATI comes out on top.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Man, for me my Pismo resolve me lots of troubles.
If I had to choose between a Pismo and a new iMac, I would take the Pismo (with the extra cash of course).

I would take the Ti only if you plan to get a new iMac in the near future. For some reason I do not trust in Ti books yet. I really would like to change my G4 400 for a top of the line iMac

Thinking about it, I may do it now.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Better for what?

I think that's always the question. I doubt the speed difference (if there's much of one) would be noticeable in day to day use for most things. If portability might be important to you, go for the TiBook. I wasn't sure how critical it would be to me until I got my 667. Now it goes everywhere with me, including around the house with my airport connection.

I considered getting a faster desktop machine, but I have never regretted getting my TiBook.

Chris

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
if you go laptop, like i did,

will you need the portability, and if so, will you be willing to always keep an eye on it?

it's a huge reponsibility but freedom is worth it sometimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.