Comparing OS with cars.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pika, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I saw a car reference so I must pipe up and say if you are trying to compare operating systems to cars you're silly. I have driven everything from a BMW to a Model T and I can tell you right now I've not found but one BMW that has been able to out preform another car in its class on the drag strip.

If you want to look at it in this way, let's say the BMW i760 represents the Mac. You gotta get it professionally serviced because no one wants to **** with it because they build it around the idea that you shouldn't **** with it, just turn the key and go. And let's say a Dodge Neon R/T is the PC. You can build, tear down, and improve for a fraction of the cost it takes to buy a BMW. And trust me, you'd MUCH rather drive around in one of my Neons than a i760 XD! Vrrrooooommmm!

Anyway, it all comes down to the price to me. I buy cheap cars because I know I can make them better at a fraction of the cost it would be to buy a new car. Same deal with computers.

Now, if I could get my hands on a 3.7 liter BMW engine to put in my Neon.... XD

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

And what's the point of this thread? You say buy cheap cars/computers and if you follow your metaphor you would buy PCs, except you have Macs yourself... :confused:

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

What does this have to do with anything in life? Could you at least have placed this in a more appropriate forum category? After what you've said, why do you have so many Macs?

4. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

I just try to prove that the car analogy is a paradox.

Just playing devils advocate here.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Only if raw speed is what you are after, I'd much prefer the extra leg room, leather seats, moon roof, and other luxury features that come with the 760. And, trust me, that V12 could fart a neon's 2.0L.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Actually saw where a hot rod mag did a project many years ago where they shoehorned a 289 CID V-8 into a VW Karman Ghia.

I kid you not.

7. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I dunno, reading this post is kinda like test driving an Audi...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I really hate it when people use an analogy to describe something, which is almost always about cars, and usually isn't correct. I think it's a pet peeve of mine.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

This is my pet Peeve. Oft mistaken for a Nauga (kinda like the whole hamster/gerbil thing), you can tell the difference as the eye tuft is clockwise (as it looks at you), whereas the Nauga's is counterclockwise. It's actually quite affectionate, and has only eaten neighborhood dogs six or seven times.

Attached Files:

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

QFT. For most owners, the drag strip is irrelevant to the car-ownership experience.

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Hah... in that case this analogy is actually quite correct, just in a different way than the OP intended - PCs can have better specs than Macs but they provide a much better overall experience

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

i wouldn't be caught dead driving a neon

what is wrong with you

14. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I see what you did there. ;)

15. janstett macrumors 65816

The car analogy is one of the oldest in the Mac vs. PC debate, probably from before you were born.

And if we're comparing automotive pelts, I've driven a Ford GT, a Ferrari F430, a Lamborghini Gallardo, an Aston DB9, and a Z06.... :)

Since we're pulling out the trite analogies, I'd liken the Mac experience to an Audi TT -- good aesthetics, tasteful industrial design, engine bay full of plastic shrouding, and it will never be a true sports car but that's fine to the people who drive them. We get far too many breathless Ferrari vs. Honda Civic arguments on the Mac side from people who understand neither cars nor computers.

16. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I think it's a benz, we get the smooth ride (operations on the computer) of OS X, the great looks and the extremely high price tag.

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

...says the fan boy:rolleyes: