Comparing the new MacBook Pro 13" MagSafe connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amasashi, May 21, 2010.

1. Amasashi macrumors member

Does anyone else here prefer the old MacBook Pro 13" MagSafe connector to the new one?

I understand that the new one is made of aluminum and is more streamlined and will not bend off when using the computer on your lap. But the parallel configuration of the cord means it's either getting in the way of all your ports or you have to loop it to the back, which isn't always the best solution when you're on the go. I also noticed that the MagSafe wobbles a bit when it's connected, and the magnetic force doesn't seem to be as strong.

The MagSafe on my 2009 MacBook Pro 13" is solid. Perfect fit, great attachment strength, and I actually find the perpendicular cord placement more convenient for my uses. The white plastic tip doesn't match as well with the aluminum unibody, but it's not a problem for me.

Anyone else with me on this one?

2. MindlessJD macrumors member

MindlessJD

I haven't tried the new one but I do find that the original MagSafe is very secure and doesn't wobble at all.

3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I don't have a new MBP so I haven't experienced use of the new adaptor in practical everyday terms, but I've got a friend who just bought a white macbook with the new adaptor. Personally I prefer the older one as well, never had any issues with it, still using the original one that came with my Mac over three years ago.

4. gobes macrumors member

The old ones used to fall apart after time, the new one seems much better.

5. shadygrove macrumors regular

I like the newer one. It has a much stronger cable and I like 90 degree angle...

6. akramer macrumors member

The new one is prettier, the old one is better. If you give a firm pull in the direction of the cord on the new connector, the laptop will come flying off a table. It's because the magsafe connector sticks into the computer a little bit - pulling directly on the cord pulls it perpendicular to the exit of the port, and the power connector hangs onto the computer. I can easily yank my new MBP off a table unless I make the cable run out the opposite direction in which it would get yanked by someone tripping on the cord.

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

my friend has a 2009 mbp with the previous magsafe, but i prefer the newer magsafe that i have. It looks nicer and it doesn't get in the way, when comparing to the previous generation magsafes.

8. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

can you use the new magsafe for a MBP that uses the old magsafe?

9. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Yes the changes are only cosmetic.

10. zMudvayne macrumors member

The new cord is much stronger. My old Magsafe began to fray where the wire met the connector. Although Apple replaced this right away, I don't think the new one will have any kind of problems like that. The connection may be "weak" when you wobble the connector vertically up and down (the connector seems slightly smaller than the hole it fits into), but horizontally left to right the connection is just as strong and causes no concern.

I have no concerns of its ability to disengage when necessary either. I've already tripped over the cord several times and my MBP sits perfectly still. The only way it would not disengage is if it was pulled perfectly parallel to the side of the MBP, but the old connector had the same concern if someone pulled perfectly perpendicular to the side of the MBP. Finally, although it took some adapting too, the new design is efficient because it neatly tucks the cord BEHIND the machine out of the way, rather than out to the side where you would already have so many other cords if anything was plugged in.

11. Kristenn macrumors 6502

This is what I wanted to hear. No I don't have any broken power chords but the chord that plugs into the computer seems very skinny and soft.. You can actually see the wires all twisted up inside. Anything as long as its a stronger chord is good.

I have seen people plug those new adapters in with the chord part sticking out the back. So it doesn't look like it would get in the way of any ports. Unless they were doing it wrong I think it works that way. Never used one in person myself yet.

12. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Although I think the new MagSafe connector will potentially be more rugged, it also holds in place a lot more firmly which partially negates its intended purpose of pulling off if tripped over. A friend recently caught my power cord with his foot and it yanked my brand-new MBP 13" across the table without detaching the MagSafe. Fortunately the computer stopped a few inches short of falling off the table.

So, yep, I prefer the old style.

13. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I prefer the old MagSafe connector. Connecting it was a lot faster/simpler. While the new one may look better, it requires a big more effort to put and also to make sure you're not covering your ports.

I wonder why apple didn't just make the old design of the MagSafe into an aluminum instead of redesigning it all over. I prefer the connector to be sticking straight out of the MBP instead of it being sideways/parallel.

15. Amasashi thread starter macrumors member

I don't know how reliable this is, but testing the two at home, I've found that on the new MagSafe, whether it detaches or not really depends on the angle. If you just pull directly on the cord, it seems to just drag the whole computer along without detaching. However, the greater the angle you pull on it, the easier it comes off.

The old MagSafe seemed to be fairly reliable at all angles.

16. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

side notes

Totally off notes, about the magsafe connector.

I found I have this fondue pot at home which has a magnetic power connector. I have this for a long time, definitely before apple came up with this idea. Wonder if it was patented.

17. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I MUCH prefer the new angled magsafe over the "original". The original is much easier to accidentally knock out. The new cable makes for a simple and "clean" desktop. Thank you Apple for continuous improvement on the 'little things'!

cheers
    JohnG

18. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Right. I also have a rice cooker with a magnetic power cord. As Steve Jobs loves to quote Picasso "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

19. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I prefer the new design, matches the MBP better, the power lead itself feels more durable and due to the design doesn't get in the way of my ports.

20. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I tried using the new one, but I didn't think it felt particularly safe. The whole concept of the Magsafe was to allow the cable to disconnect if someone were to trip over it. Somewhere in the design process for the new one, Apple forgot that. I tripped over the cable and my computer nearly slid off the desk with it. Something I'm not willing to chance in a public place. Luckily I have 3 MagSafes, so my new one is used at my home desk, one white one is used at my bed and another white one is used for when I'm on the go.

The new one does look awesome though! :D

21. sunnylee macrumors newbie

I used an old magsafe on my 2010 macbook pro and my computer got extremely hot in my lap. I was only using it for about 10 minutes and when I got the thing almost burned my hand. I haven't had that happen yet with my computer, maybe somethings wrong with it. But I think I'm going to just use my own magsafe.

22. r00fus macrumors regular

Not all magsafes are the same

Was your old magsafe the 60W or 85W variety?
    All 13" models of macbook (pro, air, standard) use 60W connectors (the brick is smaller).

15" and 17" models use 85W (bigger) connectors... maybe your 60W was getting overworked by charging and supplying power for your new MPB?

23. Reapur macrumors regular

Its also 85 watts, which will charge your battery faster.

24. Reapur macrumors regular

I dont understand why you would not run the power cord behind the computer. The original magsafe connector was prone to fraying because everyone bends the cord 90 deg and around back of the computer.

The new magsafe uses a silicone rubber insulation which is much stronger than the previous, and Apple has directed the cable out the back of the computer to cater to people running the cable around behind.

The only down side I see here is that the new connector has a much stronger magnet in it and if you pull it straight back it seems to hold on pretty good. Id say weaken the magnet but keep everything else the same.

25. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I have been using the old Magsafe connector for two years and it isn't showing any problems of fraying. However, just using the new connector for a few days, I can foresee problems with it. It doesn't seem to want to disconnect when you pull on the cord with the cable facing you. Instead, it wants to drag the whole computer. I'm planning to use my old Magsafe when I'm out and just leave the newer one on my desk.