Comparing these 2 specs for 13" MBP retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmflapem, Jan 21, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I'm a university student and I use my laptop mostly to type notes and sometimes play League of Legends.
    I am also planning on having Windows 8.1 installed using Bootcamp.
    Also occasionally, I watch movie on my half screen and surf the web on the other half of the screen.

Can someone tell me which of the following 2 specs would be ideal for my usage (they are similar price)?

2.6GHz i5
    8GB RAM
    512GB SSD

OR

2.6GHz i5
    16GB RAM
    256GB SSD

Thanks in advance!

2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

First off, I don’t game, so I can’t speak to any sort of gaming performance. Someone else might be able to tell you whether the 0.2 GHz CPU bump and 0.1 GHz GPU bump you’ve included in both options might ever have any discernible effect whatsoever. My guess is it won’t, and you’d be better off saving your money and getting the base CPU.

In any case, since you’re not running multiple VMs, you will definitely be fine with 8 GB RAM. As for the SSD, you’ll probably be fine with 256 GB. In particular, you’ll want an external multi-TB HDD no matter what to store your media and backups on, so the computer only needs to hold applications and working documents. But as it says in my sig, if you get just one upgrade, the SSD is probably the most worthwhile.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

RAM isn't upgradeable, as it's soldered. Max it out if you can.

Get the 256GB SSD. The SSDs are upgradeable, just that the PCIe SSDs (like the Samsung XP941s used by Apple) aren't widely available yet. In the future, they will be readily available, so you can upgrade it a few years down the road.

4. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

5. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I also suggest the 16GB RAM option since the SSD you may increase later.