comparing to macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevindosi, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

i'm going to get either a macbook or macbook pro, but i want to talk to someone who has owned both of the new models.
    i have an older model of the macbook, and the plastic is cracked all over the place. i don't want to deal with that again. does the new macbook model have cracking issues as well? and as for the pro, is the body a lot sturdier? i want to get a computer that won't dent and scratch and crack so easily.
    finally, if i were to upgrade the macbook to 4gb ram then it would have the same ram and processor speed as the pro... so would the macbook function exactly the same as the pro?

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yes it would function the same, but after adding all that (4 gb) to the Macbook you might as well get the Pro. The price would be about the same at that point. Plus, you'd get the backlit keyboard and aluminum body is much sturdier than the plastic.

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The new macbooks scratch very easily from the soft plastic used, but with that said, the new plastic should not crack as easily.
    Also the bottom of the macbook is a soft rubber coating over aluminum, this bottom plate is very easy to scuff with just normal use, no abuse.

You should really buy the macbook pro especially since you are worried about the long term appearance.

4. opera57 macrumors 6502

I agree, The aluminum finish tends to keep looking nice if taken care of, whereas the white plastic MB tends to get quite grubby looking even if care is taken to keep it clean and scratch-free. [​IMG]

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Aluminum bodies are more durable. I've had my Powerbook for over 6yrs and it looks like my MBP Unibody. Same clean design.

[​IMG]

6. kevindosi thread starter macrumors regular

Well I've heard that the aluminum
    Tends to get banged up and dented. I guess the consensus here is that that's not true?

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If you drop it or hit it against something, then YES. But you should think about this: is a dent worse or a crack worse?

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

mofunk, that PowerBook really looks like new. Have you applied any kind of film to the UB MBP?