Comparison Beet. MacPro 13", 2.4 & 2.8 Hz

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Amir.ghalamzan, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Amir.ghalamzan macrumors newbie

Hi everybody

I am going to buy a MacPro 13". Actually I am an engineer, and definitely I need doing simulation sometimes.

I was wondering, considering the price and also the ability of each Model, if any body can give me advice in order to choose.

Thanks,

Amir

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy the most powerful one that fits your budget, but odds are any model and configuration will work for you.

3. Amir.ghalamzan thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I can afford to buy MacPro 13" 2.8, it cost 270 Eu more than MacPro 13" 2.4 Hz,

one friend told me i7 processor on Mac13" does not work well.

I want to know some technical information that if I spend 270 eu more, it is worthy.

Thanks anyway,

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Incorrect.

You are searching for a technical answer to a question which you have provided almost zero helpful information that would allow someone to answer. You say you are an engineer and need to run "simulations." Ok. What does that mean? Simulations in what program? How long do these simulations take on your current machine? What are the hardware requirements for your simulations?

As I said before, odds are it's not going to matter at all. You probably will not notice a difference between the low-end and high-end processors.

5. Amir.ghalamzan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, you are right,

I need to work with Matlab, Simuling, Modelica, Mathematica, CAD, CAtia, ABACUS, will not work with graphical software.

I will try to not use it in my Office, I will use a Desktop, So occasionally I need to use for those purposes.
    Actually I am student, so, 270 is not negligible for me, but if it makes a really jump in capability of instrument, I prefer to spend more.
    you think this difference will not affect my work?
    again, thanks

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

CPU wise, upgrading from the 2.4GHz i5 to the 2.8GHz i7 will earn you an 15.6% performance (according to geek bench scores).

Aren't you going to need decent graphics for CAD?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you put the two models side by side you may notice a difference in some situations, but I really don't think it's worth it if $270 could be used for other things. Either machine will be very fast.