Comparison between 15" Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomj, Apr 22, 2010.

1. thomj macrumors member

In my hunt, I have narrowed down the options to the three 15" MBPs. Can you guys help me differentiate the three, in technical and laymen terms.

Thanks! I'm awfully excited.

PS: If someone wants to suggest which one is right for me, I mostly do word documents, internet, music downloading, video streaming, and some music/photo/video editing.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Settle for base MBP and put the rest of the money towards external HD, RAM, screen.. etc

I would get the hi res version though

3. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

There are a lot of specs, can you be more specific as to your use case? By the looks of it, you clearly don't need to top-end model in the 15-inch size.

4. thomj thread starter macrumors member

I want the best "as-is" model. Although if enough people suggest making a particular upgrade, I'd be open to that as well.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The hi res is available in some stores too. It's something that is up to you but for 100$, you can get 36% more screen estate which is IMO no brainer

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the base model and the high-res upgrade; from what your described, that's really all your need. If you want better things, you could buy a HDD from a third-party store (ie: NewEgg.com) and install the upgrade yourself for cheaper than what Apple offers.

If you can clarify what you mean by music/photo/video editing that would help…

Do you use Photoshop? Final Cut? Logic? Or iPhoto? iMovie? Because there are big differences (ie: Final Cut can benefit from as much processing power as you can afford, but iMovie is limited to 2 threads).

But that upgrade is usually limited to the i7 2.66GHz channel configuration. Other configurations require ordering from Apple.com

7. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I went for base 2.4 i5 with the 7200rpm hdd upgrade (500gig) and the hi res glossy upgrade. To me the diff between the base i5 and the i7 was not big enough for the cost of entry, and I really don't think I'll use the 512mb vid card. I have a PC for gaming anyway. The MBP is more of a code box for me, so I went for the nicer resolution and the faster hard disk speed.

Of course it's always "cool" to have an i7, 512mb vid card, 7200rpm, and hi res screen, but I couldn't justify the performance difference vs the price.

My base 2.4 i5 seems INCREDIBLY fast already to me, and I have a pretty great desktop rig as well as a decent work rig.

8. thomj thread starter macrumors member

What stores have the hi-res in stock?

9. tim100 macrumors 65816

what stores, hammer, no around me. can u verify or deny if bestbuy will carry high res. i dont like to special order things just give it to me now

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I haven't seen any but have seen threads where people walked in  store and came out 10 mins later with hi res version. Your best bet is to call the stores near by and ask

11. bafonso macrumors member

The high res stores carry is the anti-glare top of the line i7.

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

With all due respect I tend to recommend the opposite. Reason is that the more expensive core units contain upgrades that cannot be changed later. The CPU, GPU or GPU memory, possibly display resolution (if it fits the need). With items like memory, disk space, and external accessories you can upgrade those relatively easy if/when you ultimately need them.

So, my recommendation is to buy the Core i7 (with appropriate display choice) as is and go from there.

13. christyyyjoy macrumors newbie

I went into the store wanting to buy base level 15" with the hi-res anti-glare. Guy in the store told me the only hi-res anti-glare they carried in the store was the i7, & it wasn't likely they'd ever carry it in the store on another model.

... I ended up with the i7 =)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get the base + high resolution. I like the anti-glare, but you can make that choice based on your own preference.