Compass in Street View (iPhone 3G S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petemwah, Jun 20, 2009.

1. petemwah macrumors regular

Is it just me or does the compass function not work in Street View? Bit of a shame, would be a nice feature if it worked.

Not that it's 100% necessary but would be fun! :)

2. Aurial macrumors 6502

It does. When you tap the little target button to locate you, press it once more and the compass will kick in.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely miss-read your post. I thought you meant in Maps.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Compass in street view would be incredibly cool. :D Kinda surprised it's not available, actually.

4. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Doesn't the G1 have that ability?

That was the only cool thing I saw on my nephew's phone that I didn't have.

5. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

As long as it was dead simple to a) realize the compass was being used and b) turn it off.

If I'm at home about to go to a restaurant downtown which is on the east side of the street and I decide to do some recon via street view, I don't want to see the west side of the street just because I'm sitting in a chair facing west in my house. I don't want to have to spin around to find what I'm looking for. It'd make for a cool tech demo, but I don't think it's that practical.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's for Apple to implement at some point. It'll come. (If not, an app on the App Store could do it).

7. petemwah thread starter macrumors regular

yeah if you could turn it off in a similar way to turning the compass off in the general map view maybe? that'd be good!

maybe in 4.0 eh?! :)

8. w00tme macrumors member

you don't really have to spin your whole body around. just spin your phone. :)

9. Andruw91 macrumors regular

Is there a way to recalibrate the compass? Mine seems to be a bit off when I go into the map app

10. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

11. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I did that but it seems off. I want to do it again to see if it would fix it but I can't figure out how to do it.

12. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I don't usually look at my phone with it horizontal to the ground (particularly in street view), I hold it at more of a 45. So I guess sure... I could spin only the phone - and look at the back of it?

Also, if I type in an address, street view points at that address. If it used the compass by default and I wasn't physically facing the same direction as the street view image, it'd swing around and look in another direction.

Unfortunately you can't (currently) tap on the lower right hand circle of the map which shows a very similar "view arc" because that simply takes you back to the map. But a simple "Back to Map" button could solve that.

13. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

+1. Can't find the answer anywhere.

14. Andruw91 macrumors regular

On the apple page, under the compass app help, it said that the compass will ask to recalibrate it when it needs it. Didn't seem there was a way to manually recalibrate it.

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Too bad--I was wondering the same thing :) I think it should simply follow the same rotation option you were using in the main Map view. Easy to understand.

Also, I suppose it's possible people may be comparing to a regular analog compass, which points to magnetic north. The iPhone compass (by default anyway) points to TRUE north, IIRC. (It knows your lat/long and can compensate automatically.)

So it might seem to be "off" when in fact it's more accurate (in a sense) than the compass it's tested against.

16. Que macrumors 6502

it doesn't matter if you hold your phone 45 degrees, you can still turn it clockwise or anticlockwise.

17. ErikTheHack macrumors newbie

A bit underwhelmed... maybe?

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the 3GS' compass performance so far :(

This may just be a problem with MY 3GS and I'm trying to confirm if it is or not. My iPhone compass asks me to re-calibrate just about every time I go to use the thing and I've noticed that it's often WAY off.

I was testing it by using maps in compass-enabled mode while driving and many times just standing still.

Apple's docs do call out a cars dash as an example as something that might generate enough EM interference to cause re-calibration though. I also don't know what the effect is of doing a re-calibration whilst in a moving vehicle with the EM from the dash.

It may just be that I haven't gotten the knack of the figure-8 move yet. How big? How fast? Must hold the phone straight ;)

I'm looking for other 3GS users' experiences. Please don't get me wrong, I still love the 3GS and give it an A+ :)