Compass....not so good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hugoleveille, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hugoleveille macrumors member

Is it me or the compass with google maps pretty much suck ? When I just look at the compass app, its seems pretty accurate and the arrow is fixed. But when I use it in google maps, Im almost always off and the map is turning itself very often.

Anyone have this issue ???

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I don't have a 3GS so I cant compare but have you tried testing it with a real compass?

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, I'd say mine is off by about 45 degrees at all times. I just pretend that there is no compass so it doesn't piss me off.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yeah I messed with my compass the first day I got my 3GS. I compared it with a real compass and it was noticeably off. Like enough to mislead you very far in the wrong direction.

It appears that Apple didn't even think to test it with a real compass before releasing it. It's a liability for Apple if you ask me. I could just picture someone trying to use it to get out of the woods and get lost/die because of it and then a family member sues Apple for advertising a faulty compass as a selling point which resulted in someones death.

A bit of a stretch I know, but crazier things have happened.

5. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Isn't there something about calibrating the compass ? Moving it in a figure of 8 or something.

Mine is quite accurate.

6. hugoleveille thread starter macrumors member

Mine is accurate in the compass apps, but on google maps it just sucks....

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Make sure your not near anything magnetic because it's effected just like a real compass....

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You might want to try calibrating your compass. Mine's pretty accurate in Maps.

9. Acronym macrumors 68000

yup the maps app will even tell you to re-calibrate your compass in a figure 8 motion

10. a27 macrumors regular

A real compass???
    That is so 4th century BC!