Compass....not so good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hugoleveille, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hugoleveille macrumors member

Aug 26, 2009
    Is it me or the compass with google maps pretty much suck ? When I just look at the compass app, its seems pretty accurate and the arrow is fixed. But when I use it in google maps, Im almost always off and the map is turning itself very often.

Anyone have this issue ???
  2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't have a 3GS so I cant compare but have you tried testing it with a real compass?
  3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Yes, I'd say mine is off by about 45 degrees at all times. I just pretend that there is no compass so it doesn't piss me off.
  4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

Mar 26, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yeah I messed with my compass the first day I got my 3GS. I compared it with a real compass and it was noticeably off. Like enough to mislead you very far in the wrong direction.

It appears that Apple didn't even think to test it with a real compass before releasing it. It's a liability for Apple if you ask me. I could just picture someone trying to use it to get out of the woods and get lost/die because of it and then a family member sues Apple for advertising a faulty compass as a selling point which resulted in someones death.

A bit of a stretch I know, but crazier things have happened.
  5. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2009
    London, UK
    Isn't there something about calibrating the compass ? Moving it in a figure of 8 or something.

Mine is quite accurate.
  6. hugoleveille thread starter macrumors member

Aug 26, 2009
    Mine is accurate in the compass apps, but on google maps it just sucks....
  7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

Feb 4, 2009
    Northern District NY
    Make sure your not near anything magnetic because it's effected just like a real compass....
  8. thelatinist macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2009
    Connecticut, USA
    You might want to try calibrating your compass. Mine's pretty accurate in Maps.
  9. Acronym macrumors 68000

Apr 26, 2008
    yup the maps app will even tell you to re-calibrate your compass in a figure 8 motion
  10. a27 macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2008
    A real compass???
    That is so 4th century BC!