Compatiable external Optical drive HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerseyjeepgurl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jerseyjeepgurl macrumors newbie

jerseyjeepgurl

I have a 17 inch MPB. (2.8 ghz, 8gb DDR3 running OSX 10.6.8) My daughter had an Optical Drive in her 13" MBP, that died, so I removed my optical drive to gain more hard drive space. HOWEVER, it seems that no matter which external DVD-R-W I have tried, I cannot seem to find a DVD-R drive, that won't stop telling me that either the "DVD drive cannot be found" or "DVD drive will not initialize", and then it shuts down. My latest drive is an LG portable super multi drive. Everything that I have tested, has been "MAC friendly".
    I thought that more hard drive space would be a welcomed sight over an optical drive that I hardly used, and that pretty much ANY external drive would work - NOT the case! Now that I need a DVD reader for importing movies and such, I'm backed into a corner.

My hope is that somebody can offer ANY suggestions, on what may be going wrong with the DVD readers, and why NOTHING seems to be compatible with my MBP? I love having the two hard drives (a TB & 750GB), and really don't want to go back to the internal Optical drive, but the question is - do I have any options that will allow me to keep my set up the way that I have it currently?

Getting pretty desperate here for sure :confused:
    Thanks in advance for ANY help that you may be able to give.

JJG

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's got to be a problem with your computer. External drives use standard specs, and I myself have used numerous ones without ever seeing a single issue (including the same LG portable super drive).