Compatibility between 3G and touch connector.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by fasequeira, Sep 14, 2008.

1. fasequeira macrumors newbie

I have an IPOD-B01 battery from my old 3G ipod 40GB. It connects to the dock connector and provides over 40 hours of battery life per charge.

Will the connector plug into the newly released ipod touch and work?

Of course the cradles and everything won't, but I'm wondering about the dock connector.

Just wondering if I should sell it or keep it for long trips and such.

2. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

It can easily go either way.

If it is very important to you that it works, bring it in to the Apple Store and ask if you can try it with one of their Touches. They might say no, but I couldn't imagine why.

3. fasequeira thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I figured the dock connector was the same so it should work.

I don't have any friends with touches here and there is no apple store (or reseller here) so I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

4. M. Poirot macrumors member

I'd agree with taking it to the Apple Store and asking the folks there. The dock connector is the same, but Apple keep changing what accesories the internal chip will recognise (see folk with the original docks for details :))
    Having said that I still use the firewire cable and charging block that came with my 3G iPod for my iPod touch. It is a recognised function of the Apple website though.
    Let us know what Apple say as there are probably others with the same accesories who would like to know the result.

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I am doubtful that it would work, actually.

The new 2G iPod Touches have removed the capability to charge over FireWire. That means that any accessories that used this charging method will no longer function.

Since at the time of the 3G iPod FireWire was the only method for charging, it seems doubtful that your external battery would work.

The 1G iPod Touch DOES have this capability though, so if you get a 1G it should work.

6. fasequeira thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to be clear, this does NOT charge the ipod. The battery uses the dock connection to connect, but the function bypasses the built-in battery and charges the unit independently.