Compatibility between Microsoft Office Win and Office Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacNoobGuy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hi all, i might need to look for an alternative to Libreoffice because i've been having issues with it as a thread i just made illustrates.

my real question is related to Microsoft Word: will the formatting and setup i use on Mac Word work with Windows Word or will it change? the real thing i'm concerned about is the 'notebook' layout -- will this look the same if i opened the same file on Windows Word? most of my work will be done on the Mac, but if i had to do some work on Windows i want to be able to do it.

is the compatibility perfect between the two different versions or not? do Microsoft do a good job with it?

thanks a lot guys!

edit: on a similar note so i don't need to create a new thread, what about the compatibility of OpenOffice and Microsoft Office?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

It is pretty good, but not perfect
    Heck, its not even perfect between different versions of Windows Word

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

IMO the 2010 Win office is much better than the 2011 Mac. I think MS does a terrible job with Office for Mac.
    In the basics they are fairly well compatible but it is far from perfect with more advanced features.

Afaik there is no such thing as the note layout in Word 2010. I don't use such features but I suppose in the normal (win) office such tasks are embedded in different programs like onenote. Word has a different purpose on Macs the never ported the entire office suite just a part of it.

Office for Mac was never really a port anyway. It was always a seperate project that only emulated some of the Windows stuff. With 2011 the GUI is at least mostly similar.

4. aimango macrumors newbie

aimango

I'm currently using it, I've had no problems going from 2010 Win to 2011 Mac. There is the one thing that's missing though - Web Layout View. Not a lot of people use it, but I use it once in awhile when I use word to make .html files (only necessary because my school co-op system demands .html files rather than .docs or .pdfs -.-)

Another sucky thing is that when you save as pdf, your hyperlinks are not clickable. OpenOffice also cannot do this properly. You'll have to use pages if you want hyperlinks in your PDFs..

Otherwise, all the features exist (from the select few that I use :p) , some different hotkeys here and there.