Compatibility confusion!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stormz, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Stormz macrumors member

Stormz

Hi, I've been using a second hand PowerPC Mac Mini for a short while, and I'm now wanting to buy a brand new Mac. Thing is, I'm confused about what this will mean in terms of my existing apps - as it will be a jump not only from Panther to Tiger (or Leopard) but also from PowerPC to Intel.

Software I currently own and run on my PPC Mini running 10.3 is:
    - Dreamweaver MX 2004
    - Office 2004
    - Photoshop CS

My questions are:

1) If I bought a new Intel iMac tomorrow loaded with Tiger, would all the above applications still be able to run on it, or would I have to upgrade them all to newer versions?

(I'm reading for instance that CS3 is "Universal" which presumably means it would work on an Intel Mac running Tiger. But that's CS3 - what about plain old "CS"? Is this somehow pre-Universal meaning it won't run on an Intel Mac?)

2) What if I waited until Leopard before purchasing my new Mac - would that change anything about whether the above applications would run?

3) Is it possible that I'll find that some drivers (for printers, cameras, etc) that currently work on my PowerPC Mac running Panther will stop working (or have been discontinued) for Intel Macs and/or Leopard?

As you can see, I've not yet grasped how this works, how applications are typically affected by a change in operating system (10.4>10.5) - and also - the change in processor (PPC > Intel).

If anyone can answer the above that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

All your apps will still run. Intel Macs can run PPC applications using emulation called Rosetta. You'll take a little performance hit because of the emulation, but the apps will still very much be usable.