Compatibility for next updates after Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AceGuy78, Feb 19, 2012.

1. AceGuy78 macrumors member

AceGuy78

Well looking at the Macs that are compatible with Mountain Lion I saw that the 2007 Macbook was left out. Knowing that I have a Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook (2.4ghz). I'm wondering if next years update will be the one that leaves out my computer.

I'm assuming it's based on specs... so here's the link http://support.apple.com/kb/sp500

I guess I just need some convincing

Thanks in advance

2. Bear macrumors G3

There's no indication if the update after Mountain Lion will be next year or the year after.

And would you really need to upgrade to the next version of OS X anyway? Your system doesn't stop working the day a new OS version comes along that doesn't support it.

I'm not sure what you're asking to be convinced of. However, as your system gets older, it is time to start thinking of getting an upgrade. You never know when the battery will die. When the backlight for the screen can die, etc. Sometimes these issues are worth the price of fixing, sometimes it's better to just get a new system.

3. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

There is no rush to sell. If your computer is still serving your needs well then you really don't have to rush to sell. Also as an earlier poster stated your computer doesn't stop working the moment a new OS comes out. There are plenty of people who still run Snow Leopard even though they can be updated. So if you like using Lion then you may not want to update anyway. One thing worth thinking about is that your machine is now 4 years old and eventually will need replacing so maybe putting some money aside to replace you machine if and when things begin to go wrong as it probably won't be worth it to fix it. But I wouldn't stress updates Lion is still a very nice OS.

5. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Im in the same boat as you. What Im gonna do it sell my Macbook right after I get Mountain Lion, to get a MBA. I dont wanna be left out of updates.

After it stops getting updates, it won't be worth as much for resale!

6. kierennyc macrumors regular

Im still using a launch day 2.4ghz 2008 alu-macbook (with upgraded SSD and 8GB ram) and it serves all my needs very well. Its by far the best investment that I've made on a bit of tech - I've used it daily for work, for years. Its been dropped numerous times, had drinks spilt on it, etc and is still going strong.

HOWEVER, all this talk of redesigned 2012 MBP's has got me itching to upgrade! But another part of me wants to keep using this machine until it dies just to see how long it can last!

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

There's scientific curiosity in action!!!

You owe it to science to keep that Mac until it goes out in a puff of smoke!!!

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Who knows when the update after ML comes out and if it'll be major or incremental? Do you really need the latest OS? I still run 10.5.8 and that works perfectly, though I'm tempted to finally bump into 10.6.x. Having to use Lion at work, I'm never going to install that on my Late 2006 MacBook (2,1) because I don't see the need.

9. AceGuy78 thread starter macrumors member

AceGuy78

Yeah I guess you're right. Older version of OS work even thought they're out of date, so it's not like as soon as my computer isn't able to update anymore I'll still be able to use it