Compatibility Issues of old Parallels and new Intego?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guppy34, Sep 19, 2013.

1. guppy34 macrumors newbie

guppy34

My Windows XP virtual machine being run by Parallels will not start.

First instance of trying to start Parallels/Windows, the VM window appeared, but the "screen" was black. I shut down Parallels and it asked me to stop, cancel or suspend the VM. I stopped the VM and exited Parallels. For good measure, I shutdown my Mac (as it had been up for several days - last reboot was after I'd updated my Intego software earlier this week...more on that in a sec). I removed my two external hard drives while the Mac was down. I rebooted and while the machine was booting, I noted several inch wide, tapered dark streaks going from the bottom of my screen to mid screen (I've just changed my desktop, and they are still there...just hidden by my previously busy desktop picture - so this may not be new, but this is the first time I've noticed them on start-up). When the desktop was up, I received a message in multiple languages that I needed to hold down the power button until my machine went off and then turn it back on. I did so. I then attempted to start Parallels again. This time I only got the "Parallels" icon on my desktop with the spinning wheel...

Suffice it to say, I'm pretty sure I've done something stupid...like not read the fine print before upgrading. Would appreciate help with determining if I have a compatibility issue, or if I'm starting to have HW issues, or both, and how to recover/go back if needed.

Background:
    MacBook Pro 4,1
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Running: OS X Version 10.6.8
    Running: Parallels (version 5.0??? - not sure as I can't get it to start, so going with my recollection and what I can see in the info on the .app), with Windows XP on the virtual machine

Have recently (as in, a couple of days ago, and I had not rebooted since then or tried to run Parallels) from Intego Virus Barrier to Intego Mac Premium Bundle. I ran full scans with the new Intego on internal and external HDs - only issue found was a generic/A1 that has been in a particular Excel file I have had forever.

Is there a way for me to upgrade Parallels and still use the XP VM...at least for now? Had been trying to get a couple more years out of this Mac before upgrading...

I appreciate any help you can give.

2. guppy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

guppy34

Problem resolved without any specific action...

I'm back up and running on both the Mac and the VM. That I am aware of, I did not do anything to fix the issue of the VM not starting :confused:, and a newer version of Parallels sits on my desk, still unopened. So...guess I'm running regular back-ups and keeping my fingers crossed that everything keeps working.:eek: