Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snugja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Hello! ??
Curious if anyone has a similar setup - I stream quite a bit as well as produce video using a few capture cards and solutions. Wondering if the M1 Mac lineup is compatible with popular camera capture cards

I currently have a 2013 Mac Pro - it chugs editing 4K video behind my 16” mbp i9.
Using a magewell quad capture, elgato camlink and a black magic atem
Mini.

I have checked manufacturer pages but haven’t had much luck.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
I'm using an Elgato Camlink 4K, it works well, both audio and video.

Camlink 4K is a bit picky about usb hubs, it will auto disconnect for some time on some usb hubs.

Reactions: snugja

snugja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I'm using an Elgato Camlink 4K, it works well, both audio and video.

Camlink 4K is a bit picky about usb hubs, it will auto disconnect for some time on some usb hubs.
Thanks! That helps a ton. The magewell
Card is hat I use for primary content so
I’m Curious about that too.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Thanks! That helps a ton. The magewell
Card is hat I use for primary content so
I’m Curious about that too.
You might be out of luck of this one. This requires a kernel extension and that extension is x86-64 only.
Blackmagic DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder offers similar function and has an M1 compatible driver, maybe you can use that instead.

nolanlemos

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
Grangeville, California
I have a Magewell USB Capture HDMI plus, and the captured video cuts out sporadically. I'm cross checking it today to see if it's being caused by the M1 Mac Mini. But this issue just started right when I got the new M1

snugja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I have a Magewell USB Capture HDMI plus, and the captured video cuts out sporadically. I'm cross checking it today to see if it's being caused by the M1 Mac Mini. But this issue just started right when I got the new M1
This is huge. Thanks for the real world use feedback!

nolanlemos

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
Grangeville, California
I crossed checked it with my 2018 Intel Mac Mini, and the problem would eventually start back up (cutting out very briefly). I don't think it's the M1 anymore, and maybe just the capture card going out.

I've been using it a lot since I bought it 3 years ago, and these cards probably don't last forever, no matter how well they're made.

I was trying to stay loyal to Magewell, but I went ahead and bought a new card made by AVerMedia and it's working perfectly so far. This AVerMedia card does one thing that the Magewell couldn't do, and that's sending a HDMI loop-through signal at 144Hz, which it great if you have a monitor with a high refresh rate, and you want to capture the video.

snugja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I crossed checked it with my 2018 Intel Mac Mini, and the problem would eventually start back up (cutting out very briefly). I don't think it's the M1 anymore, and maybe just the capture card going out.

I've been using it a lot since I bought it 3 years ago, and these cards probably don't last forever, no matter how well they're made.

I was trying to stay loyal to Magewell, but I went ahead and bought a new card made by AVerMedia and it's working perfectly so far. This AVerMedia card does one thing that the Magewell couldn't do, and that's sending a HDMI loop-through signal at 144Hz, which it great if you have a monitor with a high refresh rate, and you want to capture the video.
I’ll take a closer look but I don’t see any quad capture options. I ended up going with a Mac Pro upgrade - had my last for around 9 years so it’s time.

Reactions: nolanlemos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.