Compatibility of Super Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DopeZilla, Jun 12, 2012.

1. DopeZilla macrumors member

Hey guys, just a quick question that should be able to be resolved rather quickly. Is there any reason why the apple super drive wouldn't be compatible for both the air and retina mac book pro? I can just get one right and use it for both. The reason I ask is that my girlfriend just ordered a new air, while I ordered a new retina mac book. Don't really want to buy 2 super drives.

Furthermore, are there any other (cheaper) options out there in terms of an external optical drive? Or is the Apple super drive the only compatible option?

Before suggestions on 'googling it', I may be ignorant in terms of hardware, but I did try this avenue. No yields!

Thanks guys.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It should work, but I would wait and see.

The USB SuperDrive doesn't work with the current Pro models, but they all have SuperDrives of their own.

3. DopeZilla thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply man! Surely to avoid any strife they would indicate non-compatibility issues in the super drive description though right?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I guess the confusion comes now because the optical drive has been dropped there.

The MBA never had an optical drive to start with, so Apple released the superdrive specifically for it. They do need to clarify this though.

5. PAPO macrumors 6502

yeh, it's the same super drive, there are plenty of other external ODD's on the market just make sure it will work on the Mac (you could even get one with Blu-Ray)

6. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

I'm sure it does because when I placed the order for my retina mbp there was an option to add the USB SuperDrive to my order.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hopefully the MacBook Air SuperDrive I already have is compatible with the new Pro. Not going to blow $79 on another one when there are $15 alternatives out there, but it sure looks pretty.