Compatible airport cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zactommo, Oct 3, 2010.

1. zactommo macrumors newbie

I've got an old school mac pro 1.1 (because i'm too poor to afford a newer one) which didn't come with an airport card when I go it. Have just grabbed one out of a Macbook to put in the mac pro. It works, but not as a normal airport card should.

I'm not sure if its an incompatible card, or if i'm just dealing with a software issues. The normal airport menu up by the clock is useless. It just says Airport: No configured, and then has a link to network preferences in system preferences. I can connect to a network, and once its connected it works how it should, but to connect I need to go into network in system pref, then under network name, select Join other network, then show network, then i'll see the list of networks and be able to select the right one. But if I restart, or the computer goes to sleep, it forgets all that information, and I have to go back to the start again and select the network again.

Do you think its an incompatible card, or is there some software trick I can do to get it working properly?

2. Rainbird macrumors newbie

It is not fully compatible and that is why you are having these problems. The Mac Pro 1.1 requires this airport card: MA688Z/A (Apple Part# 661-4060). This card works in the first generation of the Mac Pro but won't work with the 2008 Mac Pro or later. Your best bet on finding this card is eBay.