Compatible Airport Cards

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by bunnspecial, Jul 6, 2016.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd like to upgrade my MBP 4,1(early '08, pre-Unibody) but as it has a Broadcom card I'm afraid I'll lose WiFi.

So far, I know from my MB 5,2 that the Atheros 5416 is a Sierra-compatible N Airport card, but I don't know what to translate that to in terms of an Apple P/N. I'm also trying to avoid taking the computer apart(again) if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know the P/N of the above card or of an otherwise compatible mini PCIe N WiFi card?

BTW, I REALLY don't like taking these pre-Uni MBPs apart, and want to both do a repaste and upgrade the SSD in it before I take it apart. I'm trying to line up a card that I know will work before I venture into the computer.

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I don't believe your MBP is compatible with Sierra unless you plan to hack it.

[​IMG]

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks guys-I'm well aware of the needed hacks to make it work and the hard work of @dosdude1 in getting it to work. I've been running it since the day it came out on my main computer, and since a few days after on an unsupported mid-09 MB.

My question pertains specifically to replacing the airport card in the MB 4,1-which will not work under Sierra-with a supported one so that I can get Sierra functional on it.

Both the 4,1 and the mid-09 use a mini PCIe Airport card-I'm simply seeking part numbers of cards that will work under Sierra.

4. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

The BCM4322 works fine under Sierra. That's the card you should get.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks