Compatible Camcorder??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ifti, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

At the moment I use my iPhone 4 for the odd video etc, and edit in iMovie.

I now also have Final Cut Express 4 which i want to start getting into.

I sold my HDD Camcorder a while back and want to buy a new camcorder.

My uses are shooting video of the kids both indoors, and when out and about. I like the look of the pocket camcorders you now get due to the portability, but want some kind of optical zoom as well.

I purchased the Panasonic SD700, but it was way over what I wanted it for. Also, I cant be bothered with MTS files, conversion, and so on.
    The video from my iPhone 4 is so much easier to import and edit. I want something simple like this.

As I said, Im after a pocket camcorder if possible. I would like some optical zoom if possible, and want HD output. I also want an output format that is easily editable and can be played back on my mac easily (MP4, M4V????).

Im considering the Sony MHS-CH5, since it has optical zoom and outputs as MP4.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MHS-CM...1ALO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292344945&sr=8-1
    Any comments/recommendations??

2. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyone know if I will be able to import this output straight into iMovie or Final Cut Express to edit?

3. -DH macrumors 65816

While you might be able to import into iMovie, but you will need to convert if you want to use it in FCE.

-DH