compatible external dvd burner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cparkphoto, Sep 25, 2008.

1. cparkphoto macrumors member

Please help. been searching around quite a bit and just keep finding conflicting info. my superdrive on my 8 month old mbp died in june and i cannot leave my computer with apple for the 3-5 days they need to perform the replacement. Ill be able to in November when my business slows a bit but for now i need to be able to burn dvds. Does anybody know of an external dvd burner that is for certain compatible with osx?? THANKS!!!!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any USB or Firewire DVD Burner will work. I use a cheap $40 USB external DVD burner all the time on my PowerBook.

TEG

3. digduggler macrumors 6502

Bump. A friend is asking about this, so if anyone has any specific recommendations I'd love to hear...

4. ksawyer macrumors newbie

external dvd burner

Any USB or Firewire DVD Burner will work.

Does that mean it does not need to specify it is OS compatible on the system requirements? I find a lot of burners that are XP compatible but do not mention OS, is that still going to work with OS?

I'm looking for a recommendation on a decent external DVD/CD writer. My SuperDrive is not working well, never really did.

Thanks! Kim

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you check out what is included in the package you will probably see that some additional software is included for burning disks and it will be compatible with Windows systems only- which is normally why they are listed as Windows compatible while leaving the Mac off. The hardware is compatible with both, but not the included software. A few also include some basic Mac burning software (Toast Limited Edition comes to mind) so you will see them including Macs in the compatibility notes.

That is not an issue really, since all Macs for the last several years have shipped with apps (in the iLife suite in particular) to use for most burning needs (as well as just burning in the Finder, image burning in Disk Utility and burning audio CDs in iTunes).

6. a4abt macrumors regular

I have the LaCie Portable Firewire DVD writer and it works fine! However, burning speeds could be better,but no big deal. It does not require any external power supply, simply plug it in your firewire port and you're good to go; great for portability!

7. ksawyer macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your advice. I burn cd's with iTunes and DVD's with Popcorn 3, so I've got the software, it's just the physical drive that's giving me problems. I've heard other people say the LaCie is a good reliable drive as well. It's at the top of my list now - thanks!

Kim