Compatible External Storage for Yosemite?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by DonCarlos, Feb 25, 2015.

1. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

That's my question.

I came close to pulling the trigger on a My Book For Mac, because of it's 3 year warranty and WD's reputation for solid drives.

But I am seeing many many many posts elsewhere about the problems that Yosemite time machine has with these and several other drives. Some caused by that embedded smart ware in those drives. That said, seems problems with LaCie, Seagate, and even Time Capsule.

-So I would like know if any members here have had problems with backups and loss of data during backups using time machine (Yosemite) with any WD externals or with any other drives?

-I would appreciate suggestions recommendations as well. If you have had no issues, what external drive are you using?

My inclination, is to buy a bare 3 TB drive and use my 3.0 Orico dual drive docking station, at least no smartware will be involved (if that is the culprit, but it is actually cheaper to just buy the external)

Thanks

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I'm using a WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable as my secondary Time Machine backup hard drive. I have been using it for about 8 months now. No issue using it for Time Machine backups. In fact, right now it is used by 2 different Macs for secondary backups, one running Maverics the other running Yosemite. The Mac that is running Yosemite previously had Mevericks and its backups continued on for Yosemite backups without removing the previous Mavericks backups for that computer.