Compatible hd camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mactomac, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mactomac macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking into either using the camcorder I already own (Sony Handycam DCR-DVD108) or to purchase a new camcorder. Basically, i'm looking for a solid camcorder that record in fairly good quality, and is easily compatible witha mac. My handycam takes great footage, but I've been have problems importing into my mac and getting the clips to works in iMovie HD. After not getting much help at the genius bar, I'm still not sure how to fix the compatabiity issue, or what the whole firewire thing is about. Any suggestions for quality camcorders that are compatible with macs, and preferably ones that make editing in iMovie as simple as possible or help with my current handycam would be great, thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your problem is that you have a mini DVD camcorder. These are scourges on the population. They produce finalized DVDs suitable for playing in your home DVD player. They do not and were not intended to produce editable digital video files. If your Mac has a tray-loading optical drive, then you may use Handbrake or another RIPping app to convert your DVD into an editable video file.

BTW, mini DVD produces DVD-quality, not HD video. For HD, you need HDV or AVCHD.