compatible HDD for 1ghz DP MDD G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Äpfel, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Äpfel Guest

so I've finally run out of space on my stock 80gig HDD and now I need a new one. from what I've read I need an ATA HDD, it can be 66 100 or 133 (133 is backwards compatible or something?) I should get one with at least 8mb of cache. sooooooooo

is this a compatible option?

I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment and I think 80gigs will be sufficient for awhile. Thanks in advance :)

edit: I also read somewhere that IDE limits the size of the harddrive you can use and I was curious as to what the limit was for this kind of mac? :)

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

get an ATA133. as long as it's not SATA it'll work (if you want SATA, you need power adapters and a SATA PCI card).

that one will do fine, but the 1ghz MDD isn't limited by the 128Gb LBA.... ;)

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Äpfel Guest

ooook, so that was a pain :(

my original HDD is still working but there's no sign of the new one I just installed. I hope there's some silly disk utility function I missed, I don't want to go back in there :(

it's my first HDD install ever sooo I was a bit confused on the jumepr settings, but it's on the same ribbon as my regular drive and that one is the master so I put the jumpers on 16 logical head - slave.
    any suggestions other than try again? :p

P.S. the screw that holds in drive cage in is awful and it falls on your HD EVERYTIME :p ( I left it off this time.)

P.P.S. the powercord is REALLY stiff and it really resisted another drive being plugged in so close.

thanks again for help :\

5. sndcj1 macrumors member

Does it not show up in Disk Utility? or just not on the desktop? The drive will have to be partitioned and formated before you will see it on the desktop. It could be a jumper setting, though. I always used cable select (CS) in my MDD tower on the drives I put in it with no problems.

6. Äpfel Guest

it works now, I didn't get the stupid ribbon cable all the way in lolololol ty ty ty