Compatible RAM for 8 GB upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swisha31, May 2, 2011.

1. Swisha31 macrumors newbie

Where are some of you getting your RAM to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB on MBP? I wouldn't wanna get the wrong type of RAM. Does any DDR3 do? Well, not just any but a good brand

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

3. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I used Crucial and had no problems. It seems to be the most recommended memory here.

5. Swisha31 thread starter macrumors newbie

i appreciate the link. do you actually mess up the warranty/apple care by going in and putting in the RAM yourself?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What MBP do you have in the first place? That determines whether you should go with 1066MHz or 1333MHz.

7. Swisha31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i'm getting a 15" i7 in a couple of weeks when i get back to the states. i just figure i could save my self $100 or so by getting my own RAM and installing it myself. the 1333 mhz should be the correct type tho

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then e.g. this will work.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope.

10. Swisha31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats the difference in the two? i've noticed that the one u sent has higher and more positive ratings....And would this be good to get for a 17" as well?

This is great to hear...

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you get a free 2GB USB flash drive with the one I linked :D Otherwise there is no noticeable difference. It is good for 17" as well.

12. Swisha31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! i having to decide b/w 15" and 17" but i think im gonna go 15" and update with this RAM

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Kingston HyperX 8GB

1600MHz. Haven't verified if the chips are being underclocked to 1333, but 'About this Mac' shows the RAM as being 1600MHz. (the i7 CPU in the 2011 models is said to be 1600MHz compatible, but what remains is to confirm any boost in speed. And if not, then I'm future-proofing. For $30 more, it's worth that gamble.)

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

30$ for something that you will never notice is waste of money. RAM bandwidth is very rarely the bottleneck so in most tasks, 1333MHz and 1600MHz will perform the same. This shows difference between single, dual and triple-channel memory and like you can see, the difference is negligible. Faster RAM behaves the same, it increases the maximum bandwidth.

15. Lenas, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

Lenas macrumors newbie

I upgraded my new 15" MBP with this $83 Corsair RAM (seems to be the same as the Newegg link, but I got it from Amazon) and it's running absolutely great. Booting into Win 7 and running the Windows Index actually shows my memory as scoring higher than the CPU! Considering the higher score than any other hardware (and assuming no OC), I'm going to go ahead and assume that 1333MHz is an A-Ok choice, instead of paying more for the 1600MHz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG

[​IMG]

Obviously I should've sprung for an SSD :p

16. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Any speed gain confirmation, please let me know!

17. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

DDR3-1333Mhz and DDR3-1600Mhz with the CAS latency of 9 and the timing at 9-9-9-24 works best.
    What this means is when you look at RAM, make sure in the details or specs you see either "CAS Latency: 9", "9-9-9-24", and/or 1333Mhz/1600Mhz on there.

Popular brands:
    OWC
    Corsair
    Crucial
    Kingston
    Patriot
    G.Skill
    Mushkin

DO NOT FALL FOR THE "Mac Memory" THING. It's just memory that has been tested on a Mac. There's nothing different from normal RAM from a technical standpoint. It's just a way for chipset makers to rip off Mac users. In fact, a lot more people have trouble with Mac-only memory than normal memory.

*GROUND YOURSELF BEFORE TOUCHING RAM, OR ELSE YOU MAY HAVE JUST WASTED $100!*

18. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Just ordered the 2x4Gb 1333MhZ Corsair ram for my new 15" MBP...psyked :D

19. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I tried Crucial from Newegg and is was faulty. Returned it, and got G.Skill the second time around (and for less money) and it's been working great.

That said, I used Crucial in my 2010 MBP and it was perfect. I probably just got some bad sticks. Though I used to use G.Skill when I built PCs and they always worked without issue.

21. Swisha31 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive actually used kingston before on PC laptops(ugh). I really appreciate the feedback from you lot. i think the consensus basically is as long as the specs are correct then it will be ok and work just fine....no?

22. Lenas macrumors newbie

23. cyclingsessions macrumors newbie

I upgraded with Corsair a while back and lately have been getting the black restart box when I am trying to back up with time machine. Put the original 4gb in and it works fine. Frustrating though! I thought it was a safe bet to get the Corsair memory. Macs seem so finicky with memory! Why is that?

24. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I bought Team Group memory. Horrible support from what I hear but I heard the memory quality is pretty much the best in the OC club. Not that I'm ever going to OC my RAM.