Compelled to buy Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagicMouse, Apr 9, 2010.

?

Do you always want to buy official "Apple accessories" as apposed to 3rd party?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

This poll is kinda simple. Although we may not always do it, how many of you are compelled to buy accessories for MacBook Pro (or for any mac product that is) for maybe a little more money just because they are official Apple made accessories?

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I think this really comes down to who has enough money to waste. If you look at the whole "monstercable" situation. People think that spending 3 times as much on a cable that is made of the same exact thing as the cheap brands will do better because it has features like "microwave filters" and other features you wont ever possibly need.

Generic is usually just as good as the real thing. (usually of course)

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I go for whatever is best and meets my needs and expectations for the price I'm paying; so if Apple makes the best keyboard for my needs, I will buy an Apple keyboard. If a competitor makes a better mouse and it costs me than Apple's I would go with competitor if I can afford the higher price and justify it. In the mouse scenario, I use a Logitech mouse which costs more than the Magic Mouse from Apple.

4. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I get whatever hangs in that fine balance between durability, function, aesthetics, meeting my needs, and cost.

5. highscheme macrumors regular

I would say in general I *don't* go for Apple accessories because it is a given that they are overpriced.

I do like Apple keyboards with Apple computers, but I would never buy an Apple mouse.

6. Kawininja619 macrumors member

Besides my computer and ipod, I have nothing that is made by apple. They make nice stuff but far too expensive for a college student. I can get other brands that work just as good for alot cheaper.

7. vectus macrumors member

One thing to remember about Monster Cable is the warranty. If the technology you are using becomes obsolete while it is under warranty they will give you a cable that matches the newest technology.

As far as using Apple vs. a competitor, I don't think I would ever use an Apple keyboard because they are membrane style just like most keyboards. I only use mechanical keyboards because they have a much better response time and are, in my opinion, much better to type on. I do like the magic mouse.

8. bluskale macrumors regular

replacements or no... how many cables would you need to buy before you'd spend as much as you would on the cables with that warranty?

Generally speaking, if a company is offering a warranty, it's because it makes them money (aside from when they are obligated to)... this means that as the purchaser of the warranty, you're probably going to lose money.

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I usually don't buy many accessories. I got third party headphones for my ipod, third party ram and ssd for my mac and a microsoft mouse.

Apple makes nice stuff but there are others out there more specialized than them.

10. wschutz macrumors 6502

I do only buy the hardware (laptop) and the OS from Apple. I don't buy anything else from Apple (excluding the miniDisplay to VGA and DVI adapter).

Accessories are cheaper if you get them from third party manufacturers and software is cheaper and better if you go open source :)

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Exactly right. HDMI cables, for example, are made to match published standards before they can cary the HDMI logo. I checked a site at random and saw that the cheapest price per foot Monster HDMI cable the outfit had available was $49.95 for a 2 meter cable. Then I went to Amazon and saw that many 6 foot HDMI cables could be bought for $15 or less, sometimes way less. I have used budget priced cabling in my home theater system for many years and have never had trouble with any of them. Modern cable connections are purely digital. This means that they either work or they do not and talk about some subtle performance superiority of more expensive cabling is nonsense. High priced cables such as Monster's are a rip off and should be avoided by all wise shoppers.