Compensation for Verizon Duplicate MEID?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Saerian, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Saerian macrumors newbie

Hey All -

I got an email from Verizon today saying that my account information had been updated. The number in the email was my iPad2's cellular data number. Going to my account information on my iPad brought up someone else's name and phone number, with my credit card and billing address.

I called Verizon, and they confirmed it was that duplicate MEID problem with some of the newer iPads being shipped. Problem with me though, is I've had mine since launch day. Even though I had my iPad first, Verizon and Apple (who later joined on a 3 way call) are telling me to bring my iPad into an Apple store for replacement. This is apparently because my data plan has lapsed and was replaced by this new person, so I'm the 'second person' on the account.

I'm pretty ticked, because I've had my iPad since launch, but yet I have to take the time to go to the Apple store, get it replaced, and then have to resync all my data, songs, movies, etc.

Has anyone else had this happen, was there any kind of compensation for the time and trouble?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I've had something like this happen with my regular phone service. It's not a big deal. What do you want from them? I mean, I'm sure you could complain your way to a free month of service or something, but to what end?

3. taipan61 macrumors 6502

well the worst thing that could happen is they could give him a unit with bad bleed...
    but he'll (hopefully) get a brand new unit, sans bleed with fresh batteries etc
    resync is no issue as long as he does a sync before he takes it in

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Perhaps the OP feels, and rightly so, that he should not have to be hassled due to no fault of his own as he values his time and any mistake made by Verizon should have some goodwill on their end. I hope they do compensate you somewhat OP. Perhaps a free case?

5. GabooN macrumors regular

Couldn't they have the other individual bring theirs in and get a new ID instead of you? Or is this a case where both people have to get replacements?

6. taipan61 macrumors 6502

they probably won't ever tell him, but could they just reboot their systems and reset the data?
    but in the OPS case I'd be asking for some airtime as compensation

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm not trying to instigate an argument, so let's stay civil, but I think that's absurd. If every time a company's technology made a mistake or error, we got something for free, these companies would be out of business.

I think the sense of entitlement is ridiculous here. I would understand if he lost something. I'd understand if they broke something of his. But what you're suggesting is he gets a case for his phone, which I understand is just an example, just because his time and mental health was harmed.

I know it's a stretch, but I feel this is heading in the direction of someone cutting me off on the road, and me taking them to court to sue them over the time I had to slow down and the aggravation I endured having been cut off.

8. Saerian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Mr. Pink, I'm not trying to start any arguments either. I'm also not the kind of person who tries to get stuff for free for any slight or inconvenience. However, in this case, I'm a bit irritated and angry, and I believe I have the right to feel so.

This is what I was referring to:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/11/apple-recalls-a-few-verizon-ipad-2s-citing-connectivity-issues/

Per the article, the newly shipped/issued/whatever iPads with this problem are the ones that should be replaced. As I said, I've had my iPad since launch day. Now someone out there got a new iPad with my MEID. That's not my fault. Instead of fixing the problem (ie: making the OTHER person replace their iPad) for me, they are inconveniencing me just because I happened to be the one on the phone.

Technically, they did break something of mine. They broke the 3G connectivity of my iPad2. This isn't something that can be fixed via software. The MEID is flashed into the hardware. Viewing my account via the Cellular Data menu in settings brings up someone else's information, but with my email and password. It also had my credit card information attached to this new person as well. And again, this was through no fault of my own, as I've been a very happy iPad2 owner (and previous 1st gen iPad owner). I'm sorry, but I think I'm rightfully angry.

Again, I'm not trying to start aguments, flamewars, or anything. I was very civil in my post. I was just asking the community if anyone has experienced this, and if so, if they were compensated in any way. My own research showed that Apple was indeed offering credit for people afflicted with this problem.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/161860/20110613/apple-verizon-ipad-2s-meids.htm

Again, thanks for the helpful posts everyone.

9. alotlikehomer macrumors newbie

Similar problem

I had the opposite happen to me today, my brand new iPad couldn't be activated on Verizon b/c of the duplicate MEID. It took verizon 90 minutes to diagnose this (actually I figured it out on google while on the phone) and then Apple took over to complete the awful customer service experience.

First, they told me I should have AppleCare and should pay $79 (unit was received less than 2 weeks ago and data just turned on today).

Second, they told me I had to go in to an Apple store (none close by).

Then, they told me they could exchange w/ a refurb via mail, but would not expedite in any way or guarantee that I would receive a new unit.

So, ultimately I just got a refund and am sending it back. When they sort out MEID, backlight bleeding, dust and other issues, I will maybe give it another try. I was certainly expecting much better customer service from Apple and somewhat surprised that they would do nothing at all to expedite an exchange and basically scold me for not having AppleCare and wanting service from them.

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Saerian, I agree with you 1000% on this point. The only thing I disagreed with was trying to get something out of it other than an apology. You absolutely have every right to be angry, and for what it's worth, I'm angry with you. I hate this kind of stuff happening to those who didn't do anything to cause it.

I appreciate your civility, especially since it's become sort of rare. I surely do not advocate any company to just say they're sorry and walk away. But I'd rather they take the feedback, learn from mistakes, and fix things rather than tossing free cases and whatnot at people to satisfy them. In the long run, that satisfies no one.