Compensation from Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DangerDaz, Jan 10, 2009.

1. DangerDaz macrumors newbie

Hi, my MacBook (White, Early 2008, 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM) developed hairline cracks so I took it to an unnamed Apple Authorised Service Centre as told to do so by Apple; all problems were covered under warranty.
    It's been over a month now since I handed my MacBook over (December 3rd) and I have still not received it back. As a computer science student I depend on my MacBook for class, so I've had to make do with public computers for the past month. The service centre also lied to me several times, particularly saying that they were waiting for Apple to authorize the parts to be replaced, when they didn't actually make a request for the parts until December 23rd (as stated by Apple), even telling me that it had been repaired at one stage, only to inform me that it hadn't been repaired when I made the 100 mile trip to pick it up.
    I've contacted Apple about the issue and they said that the case will be passed to the European directors for review. They also told me to call customer relations on Monday to take up my case. I feel very let down by Apple, to the extent that I don't really want my MacBook back. However; I would be happy if I could get some sort of discount to purchase a Unibody MacBook. I was thinking that they could take my MacBook away from me to sell as refurbished and give me a £400 discount on a Unibody MacBook and leave me to pay the further £725.
    Do you think they would agree to this, or anything at all? My family are all loyal Apple customers with 2 iPhone 3Gs, 3 iPods and 1 Mac in the house, but we all feel severely let down and unlikely to purchase another Apple product unless they help fix the problem I've been having.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I had a similar situation happen with my last MacBook Pro. I sent it off to Apple for repair, it took about a month to come back and it came back in bad condition. I called Apple and arranged for a replacement that same day and they sent me a new MacBook Pro. I would ask Apple if they could just send you a replacement instead of a repair.

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Wow, that's poor treatment, what service centre did you take that to in the UK? Usually the Apple stores wouldn't leave you out in the cold like that, so I guess its one of the independents. p.s. You say you would want to spend the equivalent of £1125 on a new MB, you know that you can get that substantially cheaper by buying through your uni online network. (about £1000 IIRC)

4. DangerDaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip about the education discount, I'll see if I can get them to put that on top of another discount. Customer relations advised me not to reveal the name of the service centre until I have my MacBook back and the European directors have taken their action on the centre, to avoid any possible damage to my MacBook or the centre changing the facts.

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Sadly they will never care.:apple::(

6. DangerDaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I realise that it is an independent store, but Apple should accept some responsibility seeing how they allowed it to become an authorised service centre and they specifically told me to take it there. If they don't give me any sort of discount I suppose I could ebay the MacBook seeing how it should have a completely new case and screen when it's returned.

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I would tell them to give me a loaner, a MacBook Unibody, and if they don't have it back in my hands by such and such a date, then i would be keeping the loaner.