Competing in 2 disciplines in the Olympics

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OscarTheGrouch, Aug 10, 2008.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Assuming you were good enough, and the schedules did not conflict, could you compete in 2 different groups of events. Say for instance archery and diving or something. Is it allowed or must you only enter under one event?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Are you perchance rather good at archery and diving then?

3. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

If missing and cannonballs make me successful...

4. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

lol!

I assume you could take part... I doubt anyone would though. The years if preparation and dedication for just one event is mind blowing...

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

A little off topic, but in 2002 Jeremy Bloom was an Olympic moguls skier as well as a starter for Colorado State's football team.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's pretty risky. I'm crazy enough to mistakenly combine the two events and shoot my opponents.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Theoretically, yes, one could.

Practically speaking, no.

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

As someone said, the training for just one event is intense enough it's unlikely you would want to do both or even make it to the olympics in both but if one did, it probably is possible.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm pretty sure there have been sprinters in the past who have also taken part in the long jump...

Edit to add: Carl Lewis for example who won Gold in Long Jump and various sprint events at multiple Olympics.

10. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but track and field is pretty much lumped into one discipline. I was just wondering if there was a specific rule against it.

I think I'm going to train for archery and ping pong.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

There is definitely no rule against it.

And yeah, track and field is one (large!) discipline, and there's a lot of overlap at all levels, but usually by the time you get to Olympic levels, it's simply not viable. So you can imagine how hard it would be to compete at the highest levels in two completely different disciplines.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Really? I think the training required for, say, middle distance running is very different to that required for, say, shot putt! I'd say they are disciplines in their own right...

I think it's called table tennis. And the Chinese are excellent at it so you'll have to train a lot :p

13. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

I will use my mad archery skills I develop in order to weed out the competition.

I wasn't meaning to downplay track and field, but running and jumping are somewhat related, and it's not too far fetched, as it would be with running and swimming (though actually training regimines for those might be similiar actually (or atleast in my own sick twisted reality they seem similiar)

14. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The usual terminology is to have a number of "sports" (i.e., Gymnastics) divided into a number of "disciplines" (i.e., Artistic Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics, and Trampoline). Disciplines may be further divided into events (Vault, Balance Beam, Pommel Horse, etc.). These distinctions don't ALWAYS hold true--for example, athletics doesn't really get neatly divided into a number of disciplines such as throwing, jumping, running, etc. There are just a number of events within the sport of athletics.

That's not really related to the discussion per se, but I thought that it would be good to throw the definitions out there so that everybody knows what everybody's talking about. I've seen these words thrown around a little haphazardly to this point.

15. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops.. I guess I did use it incorrectly. But I think my point got across :)

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you mean University of Colorado, not Colorado State;) also competed in the 06 games too

i remember going to cu vs csu games ( i went to csu) and that kid was amazing. he was drafted by eagles and now plays for steelers

couple years older than me but went to hs around me so thats my claim to fame lol

i think it is almost as impressive for guys like deion sanders and bo jackson to excel in 2 separate professional sports