Competition for Lifeproof?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VydorScope, Oct 23, 2011.

1. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

I returned my Otterbox Defender case, I wanted to like the case, I really did, but its just so box and makes the phone look like a child's toy. I need a case that will protect the phone, but not be so bulky.

Right now considering the Lifeproof one. I like its cause it waterproof (heading to a water park in December) and still looks fairly thin. I am planning to drop by Best Buy today to see one in person. Is there any thin, water/shock proof competition for it?

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

It depends what kind of protection you want. The Defender in my opinion is the least bulkiest case in conjunction to the protection it offers. The Lifeproof case offers waterproof protection more than the Defender of course.

3. VydorScope thread starter macrumors regular

VydorScope

The Otterbox Defender is hugh compared to the Lifeproof though. So not sure what you mean by the least bulkiest?

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In my opinion the defender offers better drop protection. In regards to drop protection the defender is least bulkiest in conjunction to its bulkiness.

If you're looking for water protection then Life Proof is way to go.

In my opinion the defender provides drop protection with some water protection an the Life Proof provides water protection with not as much drop protection.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sorry to hijack, but people who know the Lifeproof will see this thread...

I'm a "Go Naked" kind of guy, but days at the lake, etc. it would be handy to have that LifeProof case. How easy it is to install/remove? Should I get a few spare O-rings?

6. brcobb macrumors newbie

IMO, the Lifeproof case is great. It is definitely less bulky than the Otter case. It is tested to military specs for shock. I actually am one of those engineer guys that test military specs. So, to me, that means a lot. The case is easy to get on/off.
    The only caveat with the case and the 4s involves their black case. The light sensor moved slightly on the 4s. So, while the current Lifeproof case fits and functions, the auto-brightness feature will not work properly if you use the black case. Easy fix is to scrape a little of the black paint off of the case. Lifeproof is realeasing a "4s" case on Nov 1. You can find a video from Lifeproof about this on YouTube.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Days at the lake? Ziplock Baggie. Problem solved.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's what I have done in the past :) but the ability to video underwater looks very cool and I wouldn't trust a Ziplock for that.

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

It's pretty easy if you know what you're doing but it is only under warranty for a case removal 50 times - ie they don't want you to be doing that on a regular basis. You don't need spare o-rings (at least from my experience).

10. VydorScope thread starter macrumors regular

VydorScope

They specifically state on their site to put it in and leave it in. As mentioned above it is rated for ABOUT 50 opens and closes, so I do not think it will work for you.

----------

They state on the website they will replace the cover for free once the new case is ready.