Compilation albums (- artists)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by JonDownin, Sep 13, 2007.

1. JonDownin macrumors member

Is there any way to make artists in compilation albums not show up in the main directory of artists? I have a few compilation albums that have a lot of artists and I don't want my main list of artists (of which I have full CDs) cluttered with a bunch of artists that I don't know from compilations. Is there a way to do this in iTunes?

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Have you set compilation=true in the info field of the album songs?

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Set Compilation to "true" and the files will be moved all together in an album folder under "Compilations" instead of being divided out by artist.

4. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I have the albums set as compilations, but in the "Genre, Artist, Album" navigation panes I still get the artists that are in compilation CDs in the middle "artist" field. This really sucks as my artist list really balloons with artists who just have 1 song in a compilation...

5. wngraham macrumors regular

You can change the artist and album artist field to "Various Artists", then add the artists name at the first of the song, so you'll get:

Artist: Various Artists
    Song: Artist - Song Title

It'll keep all your compilations together and not have hundreds of artist listings with 1 track each.

There's an Apple Script that will do all of this automatically....

6. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Great! That's maybe what I should do. Where can I get the apple script and how do I use it?

7. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Did you activate "Group Compilations" in the iTunes options? I only get entries for artists who got releases on their own as well, but the compilation-only entries don't appear in the list.

8. wngraham macrumors regular

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php?page=2

You'll want to download the script called "This Tag, That Tag". After downloading it, place the script in the Library>iTunes>Scripts Folder.

Then highlight all the tracks you want to change, and from the scripts menu choose "put this before that", and choose to put the artist name before the track name. After that's done just hit "get info" with all tracks still highlighted, and put "Various Artists" under the Artist Name.

You're done!

9. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Why make it so complicated?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why not try this (as an example):

Artist: Prince
    Album Artist: Various Artists
    Song: Mountains
    Compilation = yes

Nubben

10. wngraham macrumors regular

Because if he has 30 compilations, each with 10 artists - then on his iPod, regardless of whether they're designated as compilations or not he'll have 300 artists listed each with one track....

11. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Just to confirm, I checked my iTunes library again one minute ago, and it does exactly what I wrote before. ;)

[​IMG]

See? No artist entry for Schneider TM.

12. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the great help, but c-Row seems to have swept in with an answer that makes me feel like a real idiot while at the same time totally solving my problem. This seems to work. Now all I have to do is make sure it carries over to my iPod. If not I will have to go on to using the script that wngraham mentioned.

13. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Now that wasn't exactly my intention... ;)

That's more like it. Glad to be of some help.