Compiling and "sharing" Family Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BJMRamage, Feb 19, 2015.

1. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Hello all...

I tried searching here (and on Pinterest and Google) and didn't see anything that seemed to match what I am trying to figure out.

My brother wants to get the family together and scan some old family photos and then give everyone copies or have them in a unified place. I know I’ll have a copy of the photos locally but think having them online/in the cloud would be helpful as well for everyone. My aunt only has an iPad and rather than fill her iPad with these photos if they were stored online nd could be viewed via App or through Safari and then she can save them to her iPad if she wants some or share on Facebook, etc.

I know you can use Dropbox or OneDrive or the like but not sure they are what I really want. I thought about Flickr or Shutterfly since you have “almost” unlimited storage and can get books, prints, etc. printed and they have Apps to view the images. But, I don’t think these fit the bill either.

I recently came across DropShots (www.dropshots.com) and ThisLife (www.thislife.com) and think these could be viable candidates for this venture.

I want to upload family photos to one place and have the ability for multiple log-ins, ability to save photos locally if desired and possibly used to make actual prints or books.

Has anyone come across a similar need? Ideally this online site will have a good history and not simply something started last month.

Thanks in advance.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Not sure why Flickr isn't ideal for this. It's so simple Grandma could use it, mainstream enough not to go anywhere, has great privacy features, and probably the best viewing experience on any platform bar none. You could just setup a single family login (easy) or have each person setup their own Flickr account and follow the owner who can add them as "Friends and Family" so only they can see the images flagged as such.

3. Razeus macrumors 601

I wouldn't trust these small companies, just based on my experiences. Stick with Flickr or Dropbox.

4. BJMRamage thread starter macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

OK, good to know about Flickr.

When you say a Family Log in...is this just sharing user/pass for the shared account?

I just never thought of doing a shared login. And didn't know if they had a family "plan"

Thanks again for replying.

5. v3rlon macrumors 6502

And if you don't trust Flickr, you could always put them on a webpage of your own.

But you need to know how to set that up. Flickr is easier.

6. Razeus macrumors 601

He means, 1 Flickr account in which everyone has the user name and password to access it.

7. BJMRamage thread starter macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

OK, that makes sense.

And I can set up a webpage...but not the easy uploading feature that Flickr has.
    so my aunt who sometimes shoots with her iPad (that's her only digital camera, she still prefers film-based P&S) could upload to Flickr

8. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Synology

I have mentioned it already on another thread but look at a Synology NAS (or any NAS for that matter).

I use one at home to store photo libraries off of my machines. I then have the PhotoStation built in app that allows me to give my parents a log in and they can log onto the NAS remotely - it is UPnP and DDNS compatible so they just point their iPads at it and log in for the latest albums.

I then just import photos into Lightroom and then export or "publish" to the photostation location. It then indexes it over night et voila, granny and grumpy can see them the next day.

I think all of the NAS boxes now have this type of feature.

Worth considering.

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Compiling and "sharing" Family Photos

Yes... The iOS app for the iPad is simple and beautiful. :)

And Flickr is an integrated extension to iOS so in Photos if you tap the share button, Flickr is one of the choices there.