Compiz Fusion/Beautification

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by royalgfx1, Nov 3, 2007.

1. royalgfx1 macrumors member

I've used Linux, and Beryl/Compiz Fusion is a really impressive application, but I recently got a MacBook, and as aesthetically pleasing as it is, I am sure it could be better.

After using the very brilliant Spaces, (I have leopard), I'd like to see some nice transitions between the spaces...

We are still in the early stages of Leopard, but are there any programs that improve certain animations, or the beautification of Leopard in general?

2. subakt macrumors newbie

While using Linux, I've played with Beryl/Compiz and the same question came to me. I recently ordered a Macbook (has no arrived yet) and would be interested to know if there are any ongoing project's similar to Compiz.

This is a very interesting suggestion and hope there is a reply from the community.

3. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I too am a linux user. I would imagine that core animation would allow developers to add these effect? So we should see some real nice stuff coming, hopefully give linux an "effects" run for their money (so to say)

4. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree, but it remains to be seen!

And there seems to be certain limitations to the effects that can be used for transitions on mac. I haven't seen anything amazing in comparison to compiz fusion. The only similar animations that I have seen have been that of the cube transition between user accounts.

I want to see the transparency in windows, switching between spaces in a cube, the ability to wave windows around like flags etc....

Things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

It's interesting to note however, that, a majority of these effects are on mac!

5. asdasd616 macrumors newbie

I am a linux user as well. The transparent windows can be done with SetAlphaValue, but only works with cocoa apps and isn't as goot as compiz.

With Core Animation I'm sure we'll be able to have a wobbly effect, hopefully we'll see some Core Animation examples sometime soon.

6. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

But what's the use if only some windows can do it and others can't?

It becomes a bit annoying! When you expect core animation to be taken advantage of and in which manners?

7. JohanofSweden macrumors newbie

Just the cube aspect

Is there anyone who knows of a smooth and easy way to just install the cube aspect in spaces, would be great

Appreciate all the help!

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is an app called virtual desktops, but Im not sure if there is a leopard version for it. and the cube can not be controlled, it rotate automatically.

9. QFT Lover macrumors newbie

I think it is called Desktop manager, and I really miss it, especially because of its configuration possibilities. It has several transitions (only 2 cool ones, though, and automatic as clevin says) and you could customize the shortcuts.

I read that it doesn't work that well in Leopard, and even in Tiger had some bugs since the development stopped 2 years ago.

PS clevin = God

10. JohanofSweden macrumors newbie

Cant handle bugs

I love the cube, its a sexy aspect that should come included, and since Apple tend to listen to its market I am confident that they will enhance their spaces. However, if there are bugs I feel I can wait for a better version to pop up for Leopard.

Thanks guys

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Thank you for the kind word.... I love it!:D

Anyway, Desktop Manager was indeed discontinued, virtualdesktops is the child(or brain child?) of it, developed by a different guy. It should be available from macupdate.com etc

But I do have the impression that author indicated he might not develop a leopard version since it has "Space"