Compiz/ Fusion

MBX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
it's difficult to admit, but the linux variant of the whole desktop/ ui/ exposé/ spaces, etc. is just so much more fluid and sexier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

look at the nice spaces representation (with ligned up windows on reflective floor) just so much prettier than spaces in os-x and overall the transitions seem prettier, snappier.

another cool thing is the wobbly windows, now that feels more like "aqua" to me.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
These are all things that can be done with CoreAnimation. I have done a few similar proof of concept things with combo boxes and the like.

I am hoping to get something ready for release in the next couple weeks.

Comment

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
It's superior iCandy to OS X, but apart from the Group/Tab plugin, all I'm seeing is an obsession with reimplementing virtual desktops (aka Spaces) as many ways as possible. Per the comments:

Actually (like I say at the end of the video) I used iMovie. I guess I could have used Kino, but I just plugged my camera into my mac and imported in real time... I didn't want to have to worry about crashes. ;)
As for snappiness, the Leopard Guided Tour also makes OS X look instant. Pre-recorded performance, where the machine's under no other load and you can re-take at the slightest jitter, is not real world performance.

Comment

Solesk

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
wobbly windows and the minimize effect of windows going up in flames are my two favorite from the compiz package. i'm really really hoping people start developing compiz type effects for mac. adding sound in would be nice also. compiz has no sound to it that i could find.

nearly all the compiz effects are awesome. trivial, sure, but who doesnt love eye candy?? eye candy can go a long way in convincing people to switch. it's already working for linux.

Comment

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a
it's difficult to admit, but the linux variant of the whole desktop/ ui/ exposé/ spaces, etc. is just so much more fluid and sexier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

look at the nice spaces representation (with ligned up windows on reflective floor) just so much prettier than spaces in os-x and overall the transitions seem prettier, snappier.

another cool thing is the wobbly windows, now that feels more like "aqua" to me.
While cool its useless when the apps that I use are on OS X. Its basically eyecandy. Now what they have done is cool... but its so thin on what it can do.

Comment