Compiz/ Fusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Oct 28, 2007.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

it's difficult to admit, but the linux variant of the whole desktop/ ui/ exposé/ spaces, etc. is just so much more fluid and sexier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

look at the nice spaces representation (with ligned up windows on reflective floor) just so much prettier than spaces in os-x and overall the transitions seem prettier, snappier.

another cool thing is the wobbly windows, now that feels more like "aqua" to me.

2. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I've got that on my Dell running Ubuntu 7.10. Pretty cool but I'd rather use a more stable operating system.

4. projectle macrumors 6502

These are all things that can be done with CoreAnimation. I have done a few similar proof of concept things with combo boxes and the like.

I am hoping to get something ready for release in the next couple weeks.

5. Veri macrumors 6502a

It's superior iCandy to OS X, but apart from the Group/Tab plugin, all I'm seeing is an obsession with reimplementing virtual desktops (aka Spaces) as many ways as possible. Per the comments:

As for snappiness, the Leopard Guided Tour also makes OS X look instant. Pre-recorded performance, where the machine's under no other load and you can re-take at the slightest jitter, is not real world performance.

6. Solesk macrumors member

wobbly windows and the minimize effect of windows going up in flames are my two favorite from the compiz package. i'm really really hoping people start developing compiz type effects for mac. adding sound in would be nice also. compiz has no sound to it that i could find.

nearly all the compiz effects are awesome. trivial, sure, but who doesnt love eye candy?? eye candy can go a long way in convincing people to switch. it's already working for linux.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think those wobbly windows would drive me insane! Rest of it looks pretty cool though

8. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

While cool its useless when the apps that I use are on OS X. Its basically eyecandy. Now what they have done is cool... but its so thin on what it can do.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks very nice and its very responsive (I assume there was no editing). Some of those plugins looked very useful. I hope Apple is looking at what is happening in the Linux world for some of its ideas.

10. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

Thanks for saying it in that way... I agree.... its responsive. But realize the other things that OS X gives you that Linux does not.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Like not having to be a sysadmin to edit a movie? :D Yeah, I run Linux too but not for productivity reasons...