Complain to Advertising Standards Authority UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaysonbank, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jaysonbank macrumors newbie

We should begin complaining to the ASA. Apple, o2 and the Carphone Warehouse have been running an advertising campaign on a product they cannot deliver, clearly with the purpose of driving large numbers of people to their stores.

This is false advertising. If I were to advertise an imaginary product with the intention of tricking people into coming to my stores so they could be exposed to other products, I would be in trouble. This is not on.

While their product is not imaginary, they have obviously limited stock and hyped that limit so as to attract customers in to shops so they can attempt to sell other items.

2. mrhands123 macrumors member

can't really call it false advertising though, they advertised a product which would be available on this date and it is, not really false advertising.

JH

3. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Its not false advertising. Every single advert has 'subject to availablility' on it.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

As was established well over one hundred years ago, an advertisement is not a contract, it is merely an "invitation to treat".

Apple/O2/CPW (delete as necessary) made no claims about the number of devices available from its stores and it is simply a case of demand outstripping supply.

You can complain to whoever you want, but the best thing to do is simply wait for more stock. Do you consider contacting the ASA when Tesco runs out of its £1 grapes? Last week they proved incredibly popular and I know they were sold out after I visited my local because I got the last batch!

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you realize how silly your theory is? Apple wants people to go to their partner's stores and not be able to buy an iPhone and be exposed to other products.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

As they say on your side of the pond, sod off.

Don't get your underoos in a twist just because they aren't stocking two hundred million phones.

7. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You realise that this would essentially be a complain that they sold out and their product was too popular right?
    Just hold off a few days. O2 have sucked forever, so no surprises there. I wonder if apple are disappointed with the launch? (especially compared to how many they the morning of the first iphone launch). Obviously, they'll say its a success, but it seems to have left a lot of people out of luck.

8. jaysonbank thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok its true, im just pissed off I havnt got one yet. I wish everyone in the ques would drop dead.

9. NekoFever macrumors member

How is it false advertising? They can't tie adverts, that have to be paid for well in advance, to in-store availability. If the latest showing of a film in the cinema is sold out does that mean they have to go around and take down all the posters on bus shelters?

10. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Well to an extent he is right :D I and a quick look whilst being told of system crash at the touch screen Samsung and I loved it :) Cracking camera and not built in a disgrace to humanity. :mad:

My experinces this week has really put me off the iPhone 3G when I get back from my trip at the end of August I might look at Iphone 3G alternatives

11. m4rc macrumors 6502

Wow, what a muppet! You are making it worse, as well as having the most pathetic thread I have ever seen on here (its a big forum, there are a lot of threads!) you now have the most idiotic comment too. I wonder if you can have a special award....

People like you make me embarrassed to be British, all you do is whine, get over yourself and realise that as good as the product is it is just a phone, people out there don;t have food or clean water and you are crying because you don't have the latest toy.... You have no sympathy for me, in fact I shall now go and buy an extra iPhone and then destroy it in your honour so that its one less for you and the rest of the whiners to get your hands on.

I knew Apple should have just sold iPhones to Mac users :p

12. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

This is getting nuts. The only winner here so far is Apple.

13. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Wow...um...you're kidding right? I'm waiting for the punch line.

If you're serious, then what's your address? I'd like to send you an adult pram and some toys for you to throw out for it. Don't forget to stomp your feet too lil baby jayson!

14. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

everywhere O2 advertised they stated "limited stock"...Is this not a clue? Of you really wanted it that bad then you should have made the effort to get to the stores as early as u could to gurantee u wouldn't be dissapointed. If you don't want it that bad, then just chill and wait...