Complaint about MBP 15 ag display (scratches)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geolej, Aug 8, 2010.

1. geolej macrumors newbie

I have had this Macbook pro 15 with anti-glare, and have had nothing but problems. In the first month I had the display replaced twice, because a huge straight scratch kept forming from the keyboard. This is an actual scratch, and not a mark. It spanned the entire display right through the middle.

After getting it replaced twice, the Genius told me to put a cloth in-between the display and keyboard. I don't have to do this on other laptops, and the other Macs on display don't show damage even though they are closed. I have a hard case (Speck) on at all times, and carry it very carefully in an empty backpack to meetings occasionally.

The third time, I hade a mura form on the screen about 1" in size and had the display replaced again. In no way is this acceptable from an aluminum laptop WITH a hard case.

TL;DR
    Over the course of 10 months of owning my macbook pro, I have had to get my display replaced at least three times because of design problems.

I filed a complaint with the BBB, any other suggestions?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why did you take such an extreme action such as complaining to the BBB? Why didn't you just take it up with Apple CR? They may have replaced the whole computer. You won't get far with that BBB complaint because Apple hasn't denied you service, they have replaced the screen so since you were still having issues your next step should've been to contact Apple CR.

3. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple CR, who would that be? I have called Apple Care but they just send me to the bar. Constant repairs and 4 day downtime isn't what I'm looking for. Sorry if I sound mad, I'm not. Just trying to find what I the customer needs to do so that I can have my mac work like everyone elses.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The marks results when oils from your fingers retain on the keys and then when you close the lid, the pressure on the lid will cause the two to come in contact causing marks. The reason that the lid will bend is because it is thin; most other machines are very thick top lids, so are harder to force the screen to come in contact with the keys.

Of course all these marks should easily wipe off.

I have actual scratches on the my screen. I don't even know how they got there, but I don't blame the manufacturer for such.

5. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I have to say that this is one of the primary reasons I went with a high res glossy screen on my new MacBook Pro. It is very easy to scratch and damage lcd displays and the glass protects it to a degree. In addition, you do have to use a cloth in between the display and keyboard otherwise, over time, the marks WILL embed themselves in the display and are permanent. Unfortunately my old Powerbook Titanium suffers from this issue badly and there's nothing you can do to fix it, save for replacing the display. Still, good luck with your efforts and see if they'll replace it for you.

6. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Apple Care, and they put me in contact with Tim Oneil, so I'll see how this goes.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Are we supposed to know who Tim Oneil is?

8. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking around at macrumors forums, he is some head of customer relations or something like that.

9. wschutz macrumors 6502

I don't throw away the thin cover that comes with the laptop :)
    It's not that I don't trust the design but I'd rather keep the keyboard away from the screen because there's always a margin of error when manufacturing everything.
    Moreover it keeps dirtiness from keyboard away from screen ;)

If you want premium... then you will have to pay premium (and no... what you paid for your computer isn't premium... is called standard-overpriced). Premium basically means they will basically manufacture the laptop for you, and do a personalised quality assessment, hence the overall cost increases exponentially :) (Oh... yes... this is utopia of course)

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

It's posts like this that make me wonder why Apple keeps replacing HW over and over again. Apple would be MUCH better off just returning the original purchase $'s and punting the bad-customer. If I ran Apple I'd hire a big bouncer (for each store) to "walk" these customers to the door and thank them for not returning. :cool:

11. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you, some sort of communist? JK

I think they scare a big portion of people with their overly friendly staff.