Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3G4

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Kent, UK
Hi all,

I've just come back from the bank having discovered that when taking payment for my iMac, Apple have "earmarked" (secured funds to leave my bank account) double the amount they were supposed to. As a result, my bank account is in negative numbers and upon trying to use my bank card to buy lunch for a friend, the card was rejected and I found myself unable to withdraw any funds. Upon calling Apple they had confirmed for me that they had taken two amounts (two amounts of £649, resulting in my bank account being minus £1,298. According to the apple representative, they had taken the amount twice because the first amount had "failed" (the rep was quite vague as to what this meant) to leave the account (despite the bank confirming the funds were in the account when I ordered the computer).

Unfortunately, because of this I have not only had to use my backup credit card to pay for essentials (shopping, fuel etc) but I have been unable to use my bank account and have had to transfer money from a savings account to make sure I have enough bills to pay before the money is "released" and put back into my account. I was told by the Apple rep that the second £649 will be paid back to my account within 3-4 days, but it is down to my bank as to when this will happen. I personally do not believe it should have happenned in the first place.

I will be of course writing a letter of complaint to Apple. I was wondering if there is any advice anyone can give me as to what to say, whom to address it to etc etc? As you can imagine this ordeal has caused me a great deal of stress as I have not been able to access money and do not wish to use my credit card (which incurs interest).

Cheers guys

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
According to the apple representative, they had taken the amount twice because the first amount had "failed" (the rep was quite vague as to what this meant) to leave the account (despite the bank confirming the funds were in the account when I ordered the computer).

Vague is hardly a word to be used by them, when they got your funds, both times.

If they have accounting "issues", is it not with you.

I would hit them up for reimbursement of any out-of-pocket expenses forthcoming.

You may wind-up with a nice little credit as a token of their apology.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I have a huge picture of Mickey Mouse flying the bird that I fax out on occasions like this. :D

mickey.jpg

Besides something kinda cute and attention getting is there really anything you can do or say?

M3G4

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Kent, UK
That's what I'm wondering - I'm going to send the letter off and see what they say. I've also gotta take myself to the apple store tomorrow because the keyboard I got with the iMac has a dodgy caps lock :(

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Send it off, contact support and tell them you've sent a letter. Take their name and a call log number and ring HQ/Wherever you're sending the letter to in 3 days.

M3G4

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Kent, UK
Just wondering if this reads okay - this is what I plan to send to Apple:

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Order number, xxxxxxxxx

I purchased a refurbished Apple iMac on Thursday 12 March from the Apple UK online store, which was £649.00. I paid for my iMac with my debit card and the payment went through and I received my iMac on Friday 13 March.
I then tried to make a purchase using my debit card on Friday 13 March and my card was refused, I immediately contacted my bank and they informed me that an amount of £1,298.00 had been ‘earmarked to leave my account’. I contacted yourselves and a customer service representative confirmed that you had taken two amounts of £649.00, but they could not explain why this had happened. They agreed to reimburse me straight away, and when I asked how long this would take, they said that it was up to my bank as to when the money would be back in my account. I contacted the bank again and they said it would take two to four working days for the money to be debited to my account. I have therefore been left with no money in this account.
Unfortunately for me, I have had to use my credit card in meantime and have incurred various interest charges, which I will be liable for. I am not very happy about this situation and think it is rather unfair, because not only have I been seriously inconvenienced, I will also be paying for the error made by your company.
I felt I needed to write this letter as I felt very distressed by the whole ordeal and I think that the system is unfair because if you take a payment twice, it is your responsibility and it shouldn’t be the customer who suffers.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Just wondering if this reads okay - this is what I plan to send to Apple:

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Order number, xxxxxxxxx

I purchased a refurbished Apple iMac on Thursday 12 March from the Apple UK online store, which was £649.00. I paid for my iMac with my debit card and the payment went through and I received my iMac on Friday 13 March.

I then tried to make a purchase using my debit card on Friday 13 March and my card was refused, I immediately contacted my bank and they informed me that an amount of £1,298.00 had been ‘earmarked to leave my account’. I contacted yourselves and a customer service representative confirmed that you had taken two amounts of £649.00, but they could not explain why this had happened.
They agreed to reimburse me straight away, and when I asked how long this would take, they said that it was up to my bank as to when the money would be back in my account. I contacted the bank again and they said it would take two to four working days for the money to be debited to my account. I have therefore been left with no money in this account.

Unfortunately for me, I have had to use my credit card in meantime and have incurred various interest charges, which I will be liable for. I am not very happy about this situation and think it is rather unfair, because not only have I been seriously inconvenienced, I will also be paying for the error made by your company.
I felt I needed to write this letter as I felt very distressed by the whole ordeal and I think that the system is unfair because if you take a payment twice, it is your responsibility and it shouldn’t be the customer who suffers.

I hope you can help me with this matter as I seem to be getting nowhere. I Thank you in advance for your co-operation in this difficult situation and hope to hear from you soon,

Pepsi.

I added a bit extra - paragraphs would work wonders on their eyes :rolleyes:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
what can happen with a card is they try it it does not go through but the charge shows up on your account. but it will go away after a few days.
this is not a apple issue it is just the way it is.
so if a charge does not work assume that it dinged your card but it will go away after a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.