Complete and utter lock ups, started recently.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SnakeXs, Apr 16, 2008.

1. SnakeXs macrumors member

So for the past 2 weeks or so, about once or twice a day, my SR MBP has been locking up.

Not an eternal beach ball, not a kernel panic, just a complete and utter system lock up. Nothing responds. Closing the lid does nothing. Only solution is a reset.

Rember claims all is well. The only thing that's changed at all is my hard drive space. I normally have 40-60 gigs free, but I loaded up pictures and have <10 free now.

I've run Disk Utils and fixed some errors and perms.

Any ideas?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Try freeing up some more space. Less than 10 GB is really not recommended...

Try jotting down what you were doing and which apps you were using the next 5-6 times it locks up. You might see a pattern.

I did this with my crappy old MacBook and reached the conclusion that it was my peripheral external HDs that the MacBook couldn't handle.

3. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

Freed up 20+ Gigs and another lockup just occured.

Not doing anything strange when they happen. Just Adium and Camino, really.

:(

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Check Console and see if there is anything in the logs at the time of the crash.

Also, a Verify/Repair Disk and Permissions can't hurt.

5. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

Will do next time it occurs. Anything in particular I should look at/for?

Also, I ran all Disk Utils, and repaired the disk after booting from the Leopard Disc.

Also, I never got the recent EFI update in Software Update. I downloaded it from the Apple support page just now and it claims I don't need the update... Any idea?

6. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

Heat can cause some of what you described. Make certain you have run all firmware updates and get it to someone who can run ASD or at least AHT to verify that your heat sink is performing properly. The other thing would be to check the environment where you are using it. Is it getting good air flow? That kind of stuff.

7. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

It rarely gets above 120º F. GPU maybe a slight bit above that, but not much. I don't think that's anywhere near dangerous levels, and it doesn't occur to correlate to system intensive apps like Lightroom or watching (HD) videos.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

When I get overheat, it totally shuts down (ostensibly as a protective measure), rather than locks up.

Have you thrown disk warrior at it?

9. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

Even if it never gets that hot if one of the thermisters on the heat sink is not performing correctly it can report a problem and cause heat related symptoms. Thats why I recommend you rule out hardware before trying software fixes.

10. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

So Console sure had some Crash Reports.

[​IMG]

Here is the latest one.

:|

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Looks like you are having problems with some third party software. What's FanControlDaemon? That's not part of Apple's software.

12. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

I've been using iCyclone for a while, but it's had 0 updates recently, and I've had a few lock ups even though I haven't used it for the past 2-3 days.

Should I AppZapp it to be sure, even if it's not running?

13. raremage macrumors 6502a

14. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

First off buy a bigger hard drive you should have 10-15 GB's free.

Cheers

15. raremage macrumors 6502a

Not to hijack, but why, exactly? What does OS X do that requires 10-15 GB of free space?

That's an awful lot of space, and I hear this over and over, and I am beginning to believe it is bunk. I seem to recall my first PB G4 had a 60GB drive and rarely had 15 GB of free space in the normal course of my use. By the standard you're stating here, the expectation would be for 25% of a hard drive to remain unused at all times.

16. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

Although I used iCyclone and not Fan Control, the outcome was indeed the same.

I appzapped iCyclone, removed the Library entries found in the link, restarted, and my current uptime is 6+ days. :D