Complete Backup Solution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

So I currently have a rMBP that I have configured perfectly to my liking, but I decided I'd get 16GB of RAM instead of my base model, and I need to make a backup of this machine, return it, and basically copy all of that over to my new machine when I receive it in about 15 days. Now, I do have Time Machine backups, but after googling, I found several things Time Machine won't backup. I really just want this to be a really easy process that I don't have to spend a lot of time on to get my new rMBP configured exactly like the one I am using now. From what I've seen, SuperDuper can do this, but I wanted to know if there's a better application for this process out there, and if there's anything I should know before backing up and returning my current rMBP. I'd also rather not spend anything for the backup program, apparently the free version of SuperDuper can do everything I need it to do.

Really appreciate any help I can get!

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Don't forget that CCC will clone the recovery partition for you also. Not sure if SD has that option.

CCC -> Window -> Disk Center -> Recovery HD

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As mentioned, SuperDuper and CCC will clone your drive, but Time Machine is already built in and will do exactly what you want just fine. Run a Time Machine backup on the old machine and when you start the new machine just point the Migration Assistant to the old Time Machine backup and everything will come over.

I'm not sure what you read is not included in a Time Machine backup, but it will backup all your settings and data. Time Machine does exclude some cache and temp files from backup, but you don't need those on the new machine as they are recreated at the first restart.

The advantage to SD and CCC is they do give you a bootable clone if that is your goal, but for backup transfer to a new machine Time Machine will work fine for you.

4. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Thanks for all the help guys. Weasel, do you know if Time Machine backs up little things such as your wallpapers, folder settings, and stuff like that? I know my applications and such will be backed up but I don't want to spend hours getting my laptop back to the way it is now.

Thanks for all the help.

5. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

TM backs up every file. I have reinstalled from a TM backup and it was the exact same computer. When I bought my mac mini last summer, I just used my TM backup of my MBP on it and it was a carbon copy of my laptop. Works great.

6. BigZ9 macrumors member

Yup, it backs up all your preferences!

7. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

I use time machine for all my backups as well as the online backup service backblaze as you can never be too careful.

8. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Maybe I'll just go with a TM backup then since Apple makes it really painless to install from a TM backup. It'd be really easy to backup my HD to my external and just plug and play on the new one.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will backup all those things. If you do a full backup with TM and use that to restore with Migration Assistant your new machine will be just like the old one. It works quite well.

10. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Time Machine is great as long as you don't need your backup drive for anything else.

My local iMac drive gets backed up to a dedicated 2TB external using Time Machine, but my 3TB working archive gets backed up to an 8TB NAS. ALSO on that NAS is my MBPr backup. The problem with Time Machine, at least my understanding of it, is that it will backup until it runs out of room, squeezing out room for anything else.

For that, I use daily backups with SuperDuper.

11. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

Time Machine continues backups even if it runs out of room. Once your backup HDD gets full, TM will delete the oldest backup to create room for the next backup. TM is very efficient because it captures delta changed for subsequent backups. So the footprint for backups is relatively small. A good rule if thumb is to have a backup drive that is at least twice the size of the used portion of your HDD being backed up.

12. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I agree, but that's not what I said. If you are using a single drive for two purposes (two backups in my case), Time Machine will expand until the drive is full, not playing nicely with keeping room open for the other.

13. icewing macrumors 6502

So why don't you partition the drive?

14. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Pain in the butt and not flexible. It's really not a big deal because I use SuperDuper which creates sparse bundle images.

15. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Just to clarify- I'm returning my rMBP tomorrow- if Time Machine successfully backed up to my external, then there should be no issue with restoring from the drive, correct? I'm wondering because I know the drive is formatted as a FAT32 drive and I don't want that to cause any issues restoring.

16. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

17. marvin4653, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

marvin4653 macrumors regular

I can't speak to the process of restoring from a Time Machine backup and I can't assure you that your Time Machine backup is intact, but I would really recommend using SuperDuper for this process. I switched from one 2010 Air to another, and used SuperDuper to clone one Air's drive to the other.

SuperDuper has two big advantages:

(1) Speed. To copy your existing rMBP's drive to an external should take around twenty minutes or less. Copying the cloned image on the external to your new rMBP will take about the same time. From what I've heard (keeping in mind that I haven't personally done it), migrating from a Time Machine backup is usually measured in hours.

(2) Ability to verify that your data on the external is intact before returning your rMBP. Once you've used SuperDuper to copy your existing data from your rMBP to an external, you can leave the drive plugged into your rMBP, restart the computer, boot from the external (instead of your rMBP's internal drive), and verify that the computer functions perfectly and that the OS and all of your data is intact. That's a nice bit of peace of mind to have before returning the rMBP to the store.

If your external hard drive is big enough, as in twice the size of your rMBP's hard drive (or if you have another external lying around), you could always backup using both Time Machine and SuperDuper to be extra-careful. First, you would erase your external drive. Then format the drive to have two partitions, both at least as big as your rMBP's hard drive (you could probably get away with two partitions that are each smaller than your rMBP's internal drive [because I believe SuperDuper copies files, not hard drive blocks], but this would be the abundantly cautious method). Point Time Machine to one partition and allow it to complete a current backup, then point SuperDuper to the other partition and make a copy of your rMBP's internal drive.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm confused... what drive is formatted as FAT32? It can't be the Time Machine drive because Time Machine requires HFS+ format.

The answer to your question is, assuming you have a proper and complete Time Machine backup on an external drive, it will restore all your data to the new machine and you won't lose anything.

19. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Thanks both of you for your answers.

Marvin, I think I will backup using SuperDuper just to be extra cautious. I'll rely on my TM just because it's easier, but I'll also do a SuperDuper backup.

Weasel, thanks for your numerous responses and help with this issue. If TM can't write to a FAT32 drive, my mac must've automatically reformatted it when I told it to backcup to the drive.

Again, thanks both of you and everyone else for helping with this issue!

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, as I recall when you plug in a new drive you get a popup that says something about "Do you want Time Machine to prepare this drive..." or some such. Looks like you have it working. :)