Complete cleaning

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Qonix, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Qonix macrumors member

Hi, I'm selling my iMac tomorrow and I have to delete in the best way possible all the contents (I don't want risk the possibility of restoring my files)
    The point is that I never did and I have Maverick GM.
    What and how should I do?

Thank you

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it is a 2010+ machine you can do a command-option-r (hold all three at once) boot to Internet Recovery. Once there start Disk Utility and select the drive itself at the top left (pick the drive name like Seagate 1TB for example) and erase the entire disk. Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS. This will put you back on Lion or Mountain Lion (whatever the machine came with). At the end of the install you will see the system setup screen. Just command-q to quit that and shut down.

This will give you nothing but the original OS on the machine.

3. Qonix thread starter macrumors member

great I'll try!
    So like this there is no risk the guy can recover my files?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It would be very difficult to recovery files after this. If you are really super concerned, you can turn on Filevault encryption on Mavericks and wait for it to finish... then afterward do what I described. That would make it pretty much impossible to recover anything.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

At the bottom of the Erase window see 'Security Options'. You can specify that Disk Utility overwrite everything with zeros when it erases. This is probably more than sufficient to your needs. The NSA might be able to get data from the drive after that, but since they already have it, it doesn't really matter... :)

A.