complete erase + install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kelv1ntran, Feb 10, 2009.

1. kelv1ntran macrumors member

hi i'm a noobie here and i was wondering is there a way to reformat (completely erase everything and install a fresh OSX?) i've had my macbook alu for about 3 weeks now and i've messed around with it alot (installed and uninstalled a lot of programs) i dont like the fact that i have a lot of traces on my hd. i tried to do a reformat this past weekend but after the install i still had traces of the old programs on it. i.e. i had stuffit on there and when i tried to install it with the fresh osx it said that there was an older version still on the computer. i was just wondering how or if its possible to get it back to the way it was like when i got it in the mail?

on another note... i was also wondering about osx snow leopard and if it will cost money or will it be a free update? i'm guessin its a completly new os and that it won't just be an update but just curious.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. Just select "erase and install" rather than "archive and install" in the Mac OS X installer.

It will cost money.

3. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

OSX is not like windows, you can be sure that programs will only leave behind 1 or 2 files (if any at all) unlike Windows and the bloody registry.

I use App Zapper to uninstall programs but that does leave 1 or 2 files behind that I have to dig out manually.

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You really shouldn't need to do it after 3 weeks. However, you can select 'erase + Install' from the menu. Make sure you have everything backed up.