Complete Format/Re-Partition Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacDann, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I replaced the stock HD in my 15" MBP with a WD 320G drive. Despite using Drive Genius, Disk Utility, etc., I still have 200M of space that doesn't get partitioned.

I wouldn't normally worry about this, but one of the reasons I'm doing a wipe and clean install is because I used BootCamp Assistant to set up Windows and later took it off and deleted the partition (using BCA.) Then I find out I need to be able to run a Windows app for work, so I tried to reinstall Windows, again using BCA, and it won't let me, saying that the drive isn't partitioned properly (or something to that effect) even though BCA was used to remove the Windows partition.

I am assuming that this remaining space may be what's causing the problem?

MacDann

2. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

No. It's not. I had your exact problem. You need to back up your HD and then use the install disc to run disk utility to repartition the hard drive to one partition. Then restore the old hard drive and use BCA to make your Windows partition. At least that's what worked for me.

Oh and make sure you use the GUID, I think that's the one recommended for Intal machines and not the Master Boot Record or Apple Partition Map.