Complete Freeze - will not do a hard reset

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chreesto, Aug 25, 2008.

1. chreesto macrumors member

Is anyone else thinking about just pitching this thing? I love my iphone but it's breaking my heart.
    Twice I had a complete freeze where I would see the silver apple but it wouldn't go to the main menu. Itunes wouldn't even recognize it. Twice I went to the apple store after being Sans-iphone for more than 24 hours. The first trip they were able to hook it up to a computer at their store and get it to reboot. The second trip they gave me a new phone. A few days later and now the new one has done the same thing. I can't afford to miss calls and yet once again I'll be without my phone for 24 hours. Is this happening to anyone else?
    I'm wondering what solutions are available for me. I love this phone but I can't live with this headache.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First, if you MUST have a phone, go to an at&t store and pick up a GoPhone for like $20. If your iPhone won't work, then take the SIM from the iPhone and stick it in the GoPhone.

Second, next time you get the phone replaced, do a software restore when you get home, just to make sure everything is set right. Then only load onto it apps that you need. If it still happens, it may be something you are doing or a system problem (ie service problem).

TEG

3. chreesto thread starter macrumors member

Yeah you're right, a backup phone would work. I just feel like that takes away a lot of the point of having a device like the iphone. It's about making my life easier (and way cooler). I've done the software restore from my computer but it's happened in spite of that. The apple phone tech said that if the phone won't do a hard restart there is something wrong with the hardware (he may have just been trying to get rid of me).
    I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in one of the apps that I've downloaded but not downloading apps is kind of pointless too, that's why I have the thing.
    I'm a total Apple fanboy (Currently 3 computers and many Ipods in the house) but this thing still seems to be in the beta stage. I'm thrilled with the phone's functionality but disappointed with its reliability. I won't be buying one of these for my wife or daughter. I'd like to think that if they had to make a call in an emergency they wouldn't have to worry about issues like these.

4. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

Oh yeah, thank god I found you! The same thing happened to me last night around 7 PM. I was downloading an app and rearranging my other home screen icons and the iPhone eventually froze. iPhoto recognizes the 3g iPhone and will import pictures, but iTunes on my G5 Powermac freezes or crashes anytime I try to attach the iPhone. My 2g iPhone and iTunes works. I moved the sim cards and tried to intialize the old iPHone but I don't think it worked. Called ATT&T and they could not help, had me verify and fix permissions. I hope I did not screw up my account. On my Macbook Air iTunes does not crash, it just does not see the iPhone. I went to the Apple Store at lunch and they could not help me then, I have an appointment for tomorrow. I will see about picking up one of those go phones.

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Welcome to the world of SCREWED up APPLE software. I have been posting the same all day. Use the steps below to get yourself back on track but be prepared for the same thing to happen on the next update. Also recommend that you update Apps from iTunes only and forego the iPhone App store updates. We now have WM Apple Software ...they are one and the same!!!

RESTORE IPHONE:
    Step-by-Step

1) Close all programs and restart computer.
    2) Open iTunes and plug in powered off iPhone with direct USB connection.
    3) If iTunes fails to connect to iPhone...continue to #4, if it does...restore.
    4) Shut DOWN iTunes again.
    5) Power OFF the iPhone & Disconnect from computer. (Power off two ways-one will work, hold home and sleep button until off or just hold sleep button until off)
    6) Hold down Home button & connect to computer using direct connected USB cable (keep holding down the home button until iTunes sees it).
    7) It should go into recovery mode and iTunes should recognise it.
    8) If you want to recover to previous software version, Hold Alt/Shift and click restore in iTunes. Then select the old update version.

DFU MODE:
    Step-by-Step

1. Turn the iPhone ON
    2. CONNECT it to the computer with a DIRECT USB connection.
    3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode.
    4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds.
    5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button.
    6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
    The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so.
    The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER.
    It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot

6. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

this is getting ridiculous! my iphone froze up like this for the second time this week. wtf?! this is sad

7. chreesto thread starter macrumors member

Got it working again but.....

I don't know how many days of no Iphone and trips to the Apple store I have in me. I've gotten rid of a few apps and am planning on using only my computer to download them from here on but if that doesn't work I'm seriously considering Jailbreaking the phone and selling it on Craigslist. I'll pay the cancellation fee to AT&T just to be done with the hassle. It's very sad but in the final analysis my phone must, first and foremost, be a phone.

8. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

Thank You so much...!!! The Restore iPhone Steps worked great. They were asking me if I restored when I called AT&T, and also when I visited the Apple Store, but I did not know I could hold the Home button and connect the iPhone to the computer and then restore through iTunes. Luckily I had backed up 3 days ago, and just my Genreral settings, email, sounds etc... needed to be set again. Everything thing else came back. It took from about 10 PM until 4 AM, and I fell asleep during the process, so I don't know exactly how lone it was. :):)

9. Baby Backs macrumors newbie

Reset Worked--sort of

My 3G iphone had also crashed and the reset also worked for me. BUT when I went to sync I got a message that said that my backup was corrupt or incompatible with this phone. So I've lost everything I've added to the phone since I got it. Any thoughts on what I can do--if anything--to restore the phone to the way it was. As of now it works, but it's like it just came out of the box. All my apps, photos, music, settings, push email are gone. Any thoughts?

10. chonglester macrumors newbie

Thank you!!

SFC Archer! Thank you VERY MUCH for your clear instructions on restoring my iPhone!!!! =) It works perfect now!! :D:) CHEERS!