Complete guide to SSD installation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shredder-, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Shredder- macrumors regular

Alright, I just got my SSD in the mail and about to install it. Is there a website somewhere that gives me a complete guide on everything regarding the SSD? Im not even sure if I did everything right in Time Machine.

Id like a guide that goes through step one on backup to final step on the installation of the SSD.

Thanks!

For those interested, heres a before picture on the speed, using Blackmagic.

[​IMG]

2. = bluntman = macrumors regular

3. Shredder- thread starter macrumors regular

so i'm in bootmode right now, choosing my backup and all, but i get to the page where "searching for disk" just doesnt take me anywhere... is it possible that i inserted the ssd incorrectly?

4. ramram55 macrumors 6502

5. Shredder- thread starter macrumors regular

Alright well heres the thing. I seem to be the only one to not have CCC installed. All i did was backup the HDD through time machine, shut the computer off, inserted the SSD disk, booted up.
    I get 4 options - time machine, ask online for help, install os x & disk utility.
    I clicked disk utility, and the 256 gb ssd is shown on the right side, along with my external drive (currently plugged in, i named the external drive "ibook")
    In disk utility i clicked the tab 'restore', dragged "ibook" to source and my ssd to 'destination' and finally hit 'restore'.

I now get the message "copying blocks. Estimated time: x hours"

This is -all- i have done. Am i on the right track?

6. ramram55 macrumors 6502

"I get 4 options - time machine, ask online for help, install os x & disk utility."
    without knowing what is your machine and osx, what you did could be right.
    The time machine will work, that is what I would do, if disk utility works and you are happy, then okay.
    Run the speed test see how it looks.
    Again reveal your machine model, year and osx, see what I can come up with.

7. Shredder- thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry.
    Im on a mbp 13" late 2011, running 10.7.5

The thing is - i cant finish time machine backup / fresh install as i get to the point when its just 'searching for disk'

Disk utility is my only option, and this process says its gonna take 7 hours

----------

Oh and btw. I just got an error message saying something about input/output.
    Ive been googling like crazy. What am i supposed to do?

8. ramram55, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

ramram55 macrumors 6502

should not take that long to get the ssd in.
    get hold of external enclosure or your ssd comes with data transfer adapter inside the package, get the original HD in the mbp and clone the ssd as external drive with either Super duper or CCC
    carbon copy clone, follow the link says on post #8 should get you going.
    Good thing about the external enclosure you can back up your internal drive with either
    CCC or super duper or time machine.
    Should you decide to get the Mountain lion loaded, after the dust settle go for it.