Complete n00b has question re: mp4 movies & itunes. THANKS!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Strangedesign, May 1, 2009.

1. Strangedesign macrumors newbie

Hey now, thanks for the great forum, just found it! I recently got a new iPhone and wanted to know how to add a movie. If I download a movie thats already in mp4 format, can I just drag the file from my desktop to iTunes and then sync it? Is there more to it and If so, any help is huge. THX

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Pretty much. It should copy the file to your iTunes folder so you can delete the original.

Also, Handbreak is a good tool for your DVD collection.

3. Strangedesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!! Keep tryin' it here, hopefully it'll be that easy. BUT, that brings up another question... you mentioned that iTunes will have the file so I can delete it but I just moved a folder to another location on my hard drive and the songs that were in it that i'd dragged to itunes no longer could be found by itunes.

is there a way to batch rename the files so they point to the new destiation?

THANKS EVERYONE

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I think it's in iTunes preferences. You can choose the location for the iTunes folder.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Keep in mind that the iPhone can only play movies of a certain size.

If you download a 1920x1080 movie trailer off the 'net, there's no way it will play on the iPhone even though it may be an mp4.

Read more here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

6. Strangedesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank u everyone. Still not workin though. I donwloaded mp4 videos from a site where they were iPhone formatted already. I can see them in my iTunes library too but they just don't wanna sync an I've got the "sync movies" option checked. Hmmm

7. ptsube macrumors 6502

Make sure you select the video in the video tab. If you have it in a playlist and just sync the playlist without also selecting the video in the video tab, it won't sync.