(complete newbie) MBA magically fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by okayls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. okayls macrumors newbie

Hey y'all!

So I am a very... not tech savvy person, to say the least. I get the benefit of having basic college-kid level knowledge, but beyond that at all I'm hopeless.

I've been using my 11inch MacBook Air since late fall 2015. Since then I've had minimal problems with it-- something towards the end of August 2017 that I think (?) might have been a Logic Board issue, but that quickly got fixed by my tech center. (I don't actually remember what was wrong with it, and can't find my email receipt.)

However, this past Sunday morning my laptop wouldn't turn on after having been used the night before, which I thought was strange, but I went ahead and plugged it in and waited a bit before trying again. Nothing. Even when the charger light turned green (which, btw, I just learned means fully charged. oops.) I couldn't get it to do anything.

I went and searched a few of the "easy" fixes, like the power cycles and resetting the PRAM or NVAM or whatever it's called. I listened for the fans, nothing, and for all intents and purposes my poor laptop seemed out of my range.

I took it to a (different campus) tech center yesterday and they did just about all the same things I did, and said it was beyond their ability and that I'd need to take it to the Apple store. I left it sitting on my coffee table and thought I was done with it until I could get it somewhere.

On a whim I picked it up today and pressed the power button a few times-- and it came on? The first few times it booted up part way and would either crash and turn off or freeze, but now it seems to be working fine??? Does anyone know what could have happened / what might have fixed it? Is it even fixed??

(TL;DR: MacBook seems to have fixed itself? Does this happen often?)

TIA for any advice, ideas, or info!!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You wish... the prob is gonna resurface.

If it boots, this is a good time to do an hardware diagnostic. Hold D while booting.

Oh may wanna backup data first.

3. okayls thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to do the diagnostic when it's already running/booted? I've been on it since a little before I made the original post!

4. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

You must reboot the Air and hold down the "D" key after the chime.

5. okayls thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the diagnostics on it and it came back fine, other than the battery needing replaced at some point! (It's working fine, just has a lower charge capacity than it originally did. Which makes sense since it's seen near-daily use for the past three years.)

6. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

It is possible that the battery is preventing the air from powering up.

Next time this happens, disconnect the battery, connect the charger, don't touch any keys or the power button, and the air should power up on its own in about 30 to 60 seconds. If it does, it is a good bet that the battery is defective.

7. okayls thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery isn't removable, unfortunately. But I'll keep the battery in mind if this starts to happen again!

8. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

9. old mac macrumors regular

old mac

Another vote for the battery. My 13" MBP with a dead battery does the same thing.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Since the OP stated, "I am a very... not tech savvy person, to say the least", it might be best for them to find a friend to open of the computer. :) I know plenty of people who would not be comfortable doing this.

11. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

A person who is not tech savvy doesn't automatically mean the person is not handy with tools. My brother is not a techy but he is handy with tools.

Based on the result from the diagnostics, it points to the battery.

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Well I was building Heathkits back in 1962, have a little shop with all kinds of tools, did computer support for an office with 20 Macs and had an Apple ][ before many people in this forum were born. But I will probably take my 2013 MBA to the Apple Store when it needs a new battery (which will be pretty soon). It's not because I'm not "handy with tools", it's just easier and I have some recourse if something goes wrong.

To each his own. ;)

13. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

The first kit amp I put together was a David Hafler DH200.

I can't be bothered going to the Apple store for an Air battery change because, in Canada, it would cost me around $200. If it was under warranty, I would only go to the Apple store.

14. 0007776 Suspended

If you've been using it since late fall 2015 that is still under 3 years. Did you buy AppleCare with it. If so it would still be under warranty and you really don't want to open it yourself to disconnect it. Take it in to an Apple store to have them replace the battery since that sounds like what the problem is.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Apple claims it costs $139 CAD - https://www.apple.com/support/macbookair/en/battery_body.html

At current exchange rate, that would be $106 USD, which is actually a better deal than the $129 USD that Apple would charge me. Of course, these are both pre-tax prices - in my state it would cost $138 USD including tax.

16. Audit13, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Apple.ca quotes $169 + taxes: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/mac/repair/service

I think it is $139 USD which translates to roughly $169 CAD?

Apple.com lists the battery cost as $129 USD: https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Weird, I guess the apple link I posted is just wrong then? Pretty clear that the pricing is in local currency - “CA $139” - notice that other countries also show local currencies such as Euros.

$169 CAD is actually $129 USD, so they seem to be charging the same, adjusted for exchange rate.

18. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u already knew it needs a battery soon, why procrastinate?

19. Macdctr, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

Macdctr macrumors 6502

You don't need to be "tech savvy" if you can follow a repair guide and if you have the right tools to do the job...

fixit link that Audit13 posted is very easy to follow and provides a step by step guide on how to remove the battery...

[​IMG]