Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by voguefashion334, Jun 19, 2011.

1. voguefashion334 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to macs but I'm considering buying a macbook or macbook pro for college. I'll be using it for schoolwork/research, surfing the web, Skype/ ichat, and light gaming (i.e. Sims 3). I'm leaning towards purchasing off ebay or a refurbished model from the apple store to save a bit of $$$

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the best deals?

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    refurbs are guaranteed, and will save you money, they are all I buy:cool:

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Refurb 13" pro. Or if you have a MicroCenter nearby, buy a new 13" pro there for $999

4. intwo macrumors newbie

You also have the education discount at the apple store, so you might be able to get a new laptop for the same price as a refurbished one. Plus, if you buy before September 20, 2011 you can get a gift card for the Mac App Store/iTunes Store through Apple's back to school promotion.

5. aery macrumors member

aery

When I found out about the refurb store I was ecstatic. I was thinking "wow, a Mac that I can afford" :p and though I was a bit hesitant at first about buying a refurb, after a post here at MacRumors many assured me that the Apple refurbs were great and some even preferred to buy them refurbished than new. I am also a part of that camp now. I bought a MacBook from there a few years ago and just recently an iMac. They have both been amazing. So if you are looking to save some money but still attain a quality machine (with the same warranty as new) I would definitely suggest purchasing from the Apple refurb section.