Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Jenks, OK
Hi guys,

I'm a complete newbie here. I just installed opera on my new macbook, and don't really like it. How do you uninstall programs from a mac? Do I just delete the program from finder? There's no uninstall app like windows?

Sorry to sound so dumb. I'm actually pretty proficient on a PC, just don't know anything about OS X.

Thanks

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yes, just drag it to the trash from the Finder

You can use programs like AppCleaner (Google it or check VersionTracker) if you like

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Most programs you can delete by just dragging the icon to the trash can in your dock.

As far as web browsers go, Safari does the job, and Firefox 3 is sworn by a lot of the members here.

Good luck with the new MB.

pendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Jenks, OK
thanks for the help guys :)

I like safari, but so far it's annoying to me that links don't open in a new tab, without holding down the command button. I used opera on the pc and liked it, especially having the ability to configure the email client so that I can click email links withing web pages. I don't particularly care for stand alone clients. I'm a gmail user and have gotten used to the web interface.

Thanks again

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
To force Safari to open links in a new tab, copy and paste this into Terminal. Terminal is found in the Utilities folder.

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

To change it back, just change "true" to "false". You may also be interested in Glims. It's an excellent Safari addon.

pendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Jenks, OK
drummerboy,

Gosh I feel so dumb!! I'm NOT used to being this ignorant about a computer.

I think I did it. Now, what did I just do? Is this kind of like a regedit equivalent?

Thanks

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I didn't know that terminal command off the top of my head. But I've used it before and had a little help from Google in finding it again.

I don't think it's anything like a registry edit, but I'm not sure what it is like.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
drummerboy,

Gosh I feel so dumb!! I'm NOT used to being this ignorant about a computer.

I think I did it. Now, what did I just do? Is this kind of like a regedit equivalent?

Thanks

applications have preference files in home/Library/Preferences (for your user account) and Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences (for all users) to change the way an application looks and feels. they are normally changed in the application's preferences but there are sometimes hidden preferences that cannot be changed and the "defaults write com.apple. … true/false" UNIX command is used.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Welcome aboard. You sound both reasonably advanced with computers in general, but also unfamiliar with OS X. Lots of your questions are probably already answered in the macrumors guides. Check out all the guides in the top box on this page, especially the beginner's guide.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/78/

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
thanks for the help guys :)

I like safari, but so far it's annoying to me that links don't open in a new tab, without holding down the command button. I used opera on the pc and liked it, especially having the ability to configure the email client so that I can click email links withing web pages. I don't particularly care for stand alone clients. I'm a gmail user and have gotten used to the web interface.

Thanks again

I think Safari was the single biggest hurdle for me as a convert to Apple. So of course I installed Firefox... but I am back to Safari and quite happy now, it did take a year, but I got there. I enjoy the speed, we call it "snappy" response of Safari.

Keep giving it a try, don't give up... and welcome to the forum...

Here is a link for free software... enjoy...
http://www.opensourcemac.org/

pendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Jenks, OK
As always, thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

I've had a little bit of a rough first weekend with my Mac. So far I'm very impressed with the battery of this guy, but there's a few things that I haven't figured out yet.

Simple one, how do I rename a .jpg file? I'm so used to right click rename.....

Also, I find it strange that when I close a program with the red dot, it seems to still be running up on the top bar (don't know the official name of the bar)

Thanks for the free software link. A quick glance looked like it has some good stuff. I think I'll try Gimp. I need something to resize/batch convert jpegs and apparently Irfanview won't work on Mac.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Simple one, how do I rename a .jpg file? I'm so used to right click rename...

If file is selected, click again on the filename.

Also, I find it strange that when I close a program with the red dot, it seems to still be running up on the top bar (don't know the official name of the bar)

Red button closes the working window. Mac is built for multi-tasking and running apps that are inactive shouldn't consume system resources. I have about a dozen apps running at the mo but am only using three of them. To actually Quit an application: Key Cmd + Q, or go to the Menu Bar and Quit will be at the bottom of the menu underneath the program's name, or right-click on the program's icon in the dock to bring up a contextual menu.

Cmd + H is good for hiding running apps without closing working windows. Cmd Tab to cycle through active apps.

Edit: Also note that occasionally apps will come with a special uninstaller, for instance Adobe CS3 + 4. Trashing the app in this instance will not delete key component parts, making a future install problematic.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
If file is selected, click again on the filename.

That's only if the Finder is setup to show file extensions, which I don't think it does in the default setting. If you aren't seeing the file extension listed at the end of the file names, you can turn them on if you like. Switch to the finder, go to the menu Finder -> Preferences, then in the window that pops up click the Advanced tab, and check on the "Show All File Extensions" option.

pendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Jenks, OK
Wow!! Thanks alot guys. As I said earlier, this is a strange process for me for sure. I'm not discouraged though. The apple store has this deal for $100 where I can come in once a week for a whole year and spend some time with a genius to learn. At first I didn't think I'd need it but I'm thinking about it now.

Thanks again for the help

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Wow!! Thanks alot guys. As I said earlier, this is a strange process for me for sure. I'm not discouraged though. The apple store has this deal for $100 where I can come in once a week for a whole year and spend some time with a genius to learn. At first I didn't think I'd need it but I'm thinking about it now.

Thanks again for the help

TO be frank I'd say save your 100 bucks

OS X yes does seem overwhelming wiht confusing things AT FIRST. In around a month you'll be using OS X like a pro. Any info the genius'es will give you, you can get from these forums for free. Some cases you'll get more/better info from these forums.

Not trying to cut apples "deal" down, im just saying OS X is fairly intuitive and easy to use. Only reason its confusing to you at the moment is its different from anythin you've used before.
Some tips:
-do your best to not compare OS X to windows... this just cuases frusteration
-accept that alot of things will have to be re-learned
-think of applications in OS X like sanbox'es. (i know its a tired cliche) when the application is open (icon with indicator in dock) its like that sandbox is there. Now all the windows for that application would be toys in the sandbox. You can add/get rid of windows/toys for that application/sandbox all you want. But even when there is no toys in the sandbox the sandbox remains there... same with OS X, the application will remain running, unless you tell OS X to close that application

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
To force Safari to open links in a new tab, copy and paste this into Terminal. Terminal is found in the Utilities folder.

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

To change it back, just change "true" to "false". You may also be interested in Glims. It's an excellent Safari addon.
Omg Glims is the best addon ever! This is my main sticking point to not moving to Safari. I've been with Firefox for a long time and now Glims and Adblock changed everything.

1visitor

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
All the advice given above is good. Having also migrated from Windows I might add a few cents as well.
I read somewhere that ACDsee has a Mac version. I didn't have time to check myself, but if that is true than you'd have image browsing at its best.

I find that web browsers have different strengths each, and it certainly depends on how you like to surf the web.
Safari starts up fast, like Internet Explorer, and Firefox while still buggy is more feature-rich. I'm used to Opera and even though the Mac version is not as powerful as the Windows Opera, I could use most features that I care for (custom shortcuts and icons, full screen, sessions, and other stuff.) I'm keeping an eye on Firefox since its Mac version is capable of tiling tabs, which is strong feature in Windows Opera which is not in Mac Opera.

Another tip: get a good external mouse.
Another tip: try Spaces and Exposé, you won't regret.
Another tip: use your Gmail through the Mac's Mail application, it works well and is integrated with other two handy programs: Address Book and iCal, something that windows never had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.