Complete noob again... just upgraded from a 4 year old mac.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Well, yesterday I bought the new base model of the 13" MBP... and overnight I let it run migration assistant... so when I woke up the data from my old iBook transferred to the new MBP. Upon completion of setting it up however, an error message occurred notifying me that something didn't complete or go through... however I can click somewhere in one of my folders to go back to it. Does anybody know what this is? I forget :eek:

Anyways, then I fiddled with system preferences, and repaired permissions and now it's downloading probably a gig of software updated as I type this on my old mac. So I have a few questions....

1) Well, the first was in my first paragraph lol

2) What should I do to my new MBP to optimize it? Specifically, I know when I got my iBook I cleared languages and printer drivers I think. So.... where/how do I do this again and what else should I do?

3) I thought trial software should be on there... like Filemaker and what not. Don't get me wrong I'm glad it's not because I would delete it anyways... but I didn't know if something fishy happened. (answered)

4) This might be fixed after the software update sand restart... but I tried arranging my applications in Finder by name and everytime I close the window and reopen it... it's back to it's standard arrangement which is NOT by name (alphabetical). Also, the time is off by a few hours... I changed it to the correct time zone but still nothing. Again, maybe it'll be fixed in a few when it restarts.

5) In Mail... is there a way to get rid of the "RSS feeds" thing? Also, I have an AOL account and I can't stand the fact that every time I open mail a new subfolder appears called "Saved IM's"... why? I have never used it and keep deleting it. Also... now there's "mailboxes" with just inbox, sent, and trash.... which is nice but then also my email address has its own menu under it?

6) iWork transferred over to my new MBP... is it now enabled on both of my macs???

7) On my OLD mac which I'll be giving to my younger brother... what do you recommend I do with all of the data? After the data transfer everything remained the same on here (I think) which is a nice safety feature... but I'm going to be moving his iTunes library from his old Dell laptop to this iBook. Should I do like a system restore on this thing to make it new and fresh for him? (did it anyways

I know this is a lot I apologize but any help will be greatly appreciated. And Happy Father's Day to any dads reading this. :)

2. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Update:

I still can't get the time to be right or my apps to be ordered the way I want after a restart.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

One of the selling points of Macs is the lack of trial software. :D

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well, unfortunately I didn't get any replies so I went ahead and messed with my old iBook and deleted some stuff anyways, and kept some. I mean it's mostly common sense... just delete what you don't want (music, etc that's been transferred to my new Mac)... I was just wondering if there was a nifty tip or trick too when it comes to moving to a new Mac and handing one down. Anyways I'd still love answers to the other questions such as the time issues I'm having... plus what would be good to do with my new Mac before getting started.

*See updated questions above