* Complete NooB * Some Questions About Jailbraking :)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KooL BeAnZ, Apr 4, 2012.

1. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

Ok, I've owned a iPhone since the iPhone 4 launch and of course then upgraded to the 4S on launch.

Now I know the basics about Jailbraking, I think, which is that you get to customise your phone and possibly get any app for free ?

I'm thinking about doing this but of course before I jump into it I'm hoping that someone can guide me though how to do it.

*Now I think there is no jailbreak for iOS 5.1 and 4S yet so if this is true then any word on when it will be available ?*

My questions if anyone can answer :)

1. What would you say are the basics steps before Jailbraking ?

I assume you back up all data in iTunes ?

Do all your settings get saved e.g when I jailbreak, will my high scores and saved progress still be on the iPhone apps afterwords ?

Will all my other data be saved ? My contacts ? My notes ? My Calender ?

Will I still have access to iTunes via the apps ?

Will I still be able to update apps (heard someone mention this was not possible with jail broken apps ?)

2. When updating firmware, how do you back up all the files ?

Do you still use iTunes ?

3. Can you plug a jail broken iPhone into iTunes ?

4. Once you update youre iPhone firmware, do you have to manually re-download all the apps after re-Jailbraking ?

And do you then lose all your saved files and information ?

I think that's all the questions for now.

Would appriciate any help.

2. KooL BeAnZ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link but I already knew there is no Jailbreak for my phone yet,

Plus I couldn't find any answers to my questions ;-(

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Answered in red. Jailbreaking isn't some magical phone transformer, it simply lets you put 3rd party apps on your phone. The only thing you can't do is update firmwares without losing your jb, other than that your phone performs no different.

4. Djentleman macrumors regular

Djentleman

Generally, backing up goes without saying. Jailbreaking for free apps is something I haven't myself done, because I believe that Dev's should get at least the small slice of pie they are supposed to for making any form of creation. Jail breaking to enhance your phones capabilities, yes, that's a go.

You can normally sync a JB device without trouble and update any JB Enhancement apps without issues, but when you update your phone, the JB will be erased.

An untethered JB would be most advisable as well, because if your phone should crash or freeze up, which does happen, then at least you can reboot your phone without needing to be at your computer.

But unfortunately I haven't heard of any JB updates for 5.1 yet, so you and I have to wait. I updated my phone by mistake and I lost the it, so I've been waiting for a 5.1 update. It will come soon.

5. KooL BeAnZ thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply.

So just to sum up:

I jailbreak my phone.

Plug into iTunes and restore my apps/data (all my contact info and what not)

Download aptbackup,

Download any 3rd Party apps and back up as normal via iTunes ?

THEN:

When updating firmware,

Back up everything again,

Restore phone,

Update firmware,

Jailbreak again,

Restore data ?

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why bother helping someone who clearly just wants to do it to steal software?

7. KooL BeAnZ thread starter macrumors regular

Steal software ?

I've always bought apps and will continue to do so :/

I've got a 100 Mb connection yet I've NEVER illegally downloaded a Song or Movie, I buy all my music on CD or high quality downloads, my movies I'll only watch on Blu-Ray disc !

I'm only CONSIDERING Jailbraking due to cool tweaks and mods, however I'm trying to understand how the back up process works...

So please, let's not make assumptions shall we :|

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

So if you say how Customize and possibly get ANY APP For FREE how are you planing on paying the Dev's for there work? :rolleyes: you have paid because had no choice. Lets not call ourselves a saint. ;)

9. KooL BeAnZ thread starter macrumors regular

There's a difference between ASKING to know and DOING.

I know you can get any song for free over the Internet, dosent mean I do it :/

Paid because I have no choice ? I have a choice not to pay and not to get, if I'm shelling out £500 for a phone, £6,500 for a PC, £55 a month for Internet, etc etc I think I don't mind paying 69p for apps :| I've evn paid for apps I've yet to use !

Again, let's not jump to conclusions.

Jeez, all I wanted to know simply was if there is a way to back up data on a jail broken iPhone and simply restore it to the iPhone after a firmware update without losing any settings / apps, like you would on a regular iPhone !

And if not and it's too much hassle, then I guess Jailbreaking is not for me !

Didn't think I would get attacked on a forum as soon as I joined looking for help >.<

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do people feel the urge to fight when their identity remains anonymous? Relax and help each other and if you don't want to then stop typing... kids these days.

11. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

WHY do so many people get ASS-HURT whenever there is any slight indication of obtaining "free" apps???

So you mean to tell me that NONE of your "God-fearing" folks have EVER downloaded a song or downloaded a movie or downloaded a software from the internet LEGALLY? Seriously? Please!

Maybe if the majority of these money-hungry developers offer a TRIAL PERIOD or a 24-hour REFUND policy (ala the Android Market) for their apps/tweaks....then there may not be a pressing need for so many folks to "steal" their work.

Heck how many times have you downloaded an app from Cydia ONLY to find out that it's NOT as advertised in the description and the app is a piece of junk? Yet you've flushed a couple of bucks down the toilet for NOTHING.

I know I have.

Last thing anyone needs is a "moral" internet police squad....especially on a JAILBREAK site.

p.s. I hope NONE of y'all MRPD (MacRumors Police Dept) downloaded and installed that "Pandora Downloader Tweak" because it is considered STEALING you know. FYI.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

This isn't a Jailbreak site. It's a site for MacRumors (hence the name) and for Mac users to help one another. Inside the forums, there is this section dedicated to iPhone hacks, but LEGAL ones. This may come as a surprise to you, but the majority of people here Jailbreak their phone for LEGAL reasons, not to steal.

If the OP was talking about available free apps, then they should have said so. Instead, they said, "... and possibly get any app for free ?"

Sorry, but that clearly reads as them trying to get out of paying for software.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Oh and as far as I go I'm Atheist yes we can have morals too. :eek: and I hate it when people say one thing then try to change it when they are called out for it. Why would somebody say possibly get free apps and then act like they would never do it. I'd rather TS just say they made a mistake. Then trying to act all offended. When they said it.

14. KooL BeAnZ thread starter macrumors regular

*facepalm*

I wanted to just KNOW what it was all about, I didn't mean I was going to go on a rampage and start downloading every app possible for free :/

I'm in no dire need to jailbreak, I was just looking into it for possible cool TWEAKS and MODS.

If I really wanted to just download free apps, why wouldn't I take my chances and have already jailbroken ?

BECAUSE I have no intention of doing it!

What you want to belive is up to you.

But, I see you are of no help whatsoever !

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

there have been links in everyone of my post to help you. Since you have a 4s and upgraded to 5.1 you have no options but to wait right now. Use the time to learn about jailbreaking it only benefits you. Fallow musclenerd on Twitter tons of videos tutorials and tweeks explained on YouTube. Iclarified is the best source for tutorials. http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/ there ya go.

16. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Indeed, those are the types of questions asked by someone who has no business doing a jailbreak, they will end up just breaking there phone and posting on here asking someone to help them fix it.

Advice to you Thread maker, do some research, GOOGLE is your friend.

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well this thread lost its way somewhat !

When I first jb I wasn't aware that the repo's provided by some utubers were for cracked apps and innocently downloaded some "free" ones but after educating myself then deleted the cracked apps and repo's and went onto buy them to support the developers.

I also agree that maybe a trial period of some sorts could be introduced.

I know some download the cracked version to 'try' them out and if they want to keep it then delete it and pay for the tweak.

I'm not aware if the developers actually patent their tweaks so it's more of a morality dilemma not a legal one.

The choice is there !

To the Op I would wait till an in tethered jb is available and do further research into jb and the tweaks that are out there to show the full potential of your iPhone.

I jb to help my phone to operate how I wanted and not how Apple deemed !

Tweaks I've downloaded are to enhance how my phone works. I downloaded Spire and paid for a yearly subscription for Siri because I was interested in its uses and because Apple said I couldn't have it !

I use the noki hd and legacy themes.

Let's remember we were all new to this at some point and this forum exists so that users can help users.